This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
Just saying goodbye and thanks.
I’ve left the fold. I have just sold my 350 and Classic 500 and gone back to Japanese.

This forum is the reason I added the 500 to my 350, but, besides the fact I change bikes, I was brought up on 70s Japanese. I originally got my 350 as I wanted a bike that I could fix at any time anywhere; but I fix all my bikes!

Obviously being a technical forum, you hear many scare stories, but I decided I don’t think I would have kept my REs for life.

BW was very helpful in me gaining a little more oomph from my 350, but with both the 350 and 500, I wanted a bit more power. I still use my bikes for commuting and whilst I used my 350 as well for commuting, a bit more overtaking power was missed.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who answered my questions and I hope I helped a little too, with my general motorcycle knowledge.

It would be wrong to say this forum is better than the bikes, but it is certainly equal; nah, the forum is better :mrgreen:

Actually, dare I be so blunt… I think the performance of my Classic 500 should have been more and the vibes were too much. Yes, so much was simple, single, hydraulic tappets etc, but still. Maybe I just didn’t have the RE passion.

Some might say, why not the new Interceptor? It did cross my mind, but I’d be spending all my money.

I’ll disappear after this thread, but you’ve been great.
If you wanted to stay with the brand but wanted a smoother more powerfull bike did you test drive any of the RE twin 650"s? Like you I sold my classic 500 and was on the brink of buying a Suzuki vstrom 650.By chance I got a test ride on a RE interceptor 650.Thats what now sits in my garage
stinkwheel wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:34 pm
In fairness, a CG125 probably does everything a bullet does and does it better.

Frankly now my new Honda C125 Super Cub is run in the performance is better than the Royal Enfield Electra X I gave away before I was seriously tempted to set fire to it.
[/quote]

Frankly now my new Honda C125 Super Cub is run in the performance is better than the Royal Enfield Electra X I gave away before I was seriously tempted to set fire to it.
[/quote]

That made me chuckle, I must be a bad person :D
That made me chuckle, I must be a bad person :D[/quote]

I well remember being seen off by lightweights while I was commuting on my then new Electra-X and thinking "This isn't right...". Some tuning and a 1-tooth smaller gearbox sprocket helped a lot.

A.
I know it is a passion thing, if you stay with RE. I have replaced them with another 500.
This 500 is a lot smoother, faster and something I wanted years ago….

Picture the scene, 1978, at CM Shutt motorcycles in Rawtenstall. Chap walks me out to take me though my brand new Yamaha DT100.
At the same time, another sales chappie is talking through another guy just buying a brand new CX500 in the same colour as mine.
And this is what I’ve brought; not the exact same one!
Attachments
19B7B035-9F9C-48C6-BE48-CDAB6C8D09A7.jpeg
19B7B035-9F9C-48C6-BE48-CDAB6C8D09A7.jpeg (3.71 MiB) Viewed 3564 times
papasmurf wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:26 pm
stinkwheel wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:34 pm
In fairness, a CG125 probably does everything a bullet does and does it better.

But would it carry me, my wife pillion and baggage through 11 US States including the Appalachians (Blue Ridge Mountains etc) on a six week trip?
Thought not :!:

:lol:

Having said that, there may well be a time (in the not too distant future) when age and infirmity dictate a lighter bike with an electric leg :(

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles