This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By driftaround
Hi all.
New to the forums.
I am smitten with the modern (L/H gear change?) Royal Enfields.
They seem such value for money used.
I'm now at the age where I prefer to plod along (ride a Honda Valkyrie)
I really fancy a 500 classic/bullet, as a stablemate, but see bikes with all sorts of extras advertised.
If I was to get one which is best? Prefer torque over lots of revs.
Carb or EFi?
Do they compare favourably to the Bonnie and W650? (not expecting equal performance)
Which mods / extras are nice to have, and which ones would I need to have?
Is a pipe change a must?
Are spares easy to get?
Are they turn key reliable - I won't be doing loads of miles
Any and all advice appreciated please! :?:

Ian.
By stinkwheel
If you get a carbed pre-unit one, what you are buying is effectively a 1950's motorcycle made out of poor quality materials on worn out machinery by variably skilled Indian workers with all the performance of a 1980's Japanese 125 and all the idiosynchracies of a steam locomotive.

They are constantly in need of repair but seldom let you down.

They have character. They are fun to ride at speeds well below the speed limit. To get the best out of them you have to know and understand your bike.

With the possible exception of the horrible emissions workarounds on the later models breather systems, you don't really need to do anything to them. Most of the "performance" modifications don't make a huge difference unless you're really getting into the guts of the engine and replacing major parts wholesale. Most people just achieve a very small gain in power and a loss of reliability. I'd probably swap out the piston on a 500 if it was an original one.

They are to w W650 and modern bonneville what an austin 7 is to a vauxhaull vectra.

Spares are easy to get via the hosts of this website. I've only been left stranded by something that wasn't a flat tyre or a broken chain once. That was a catastrophic valve failure after many tens of thousands of miles. I fixed it anyway.

What I do like is they are kind of like lego, it can be anything you want it to be and the home mechanic can make it that. The same basic bike can be a tourer, a cafe racer, a scrambler or a trials bike using off the shelf parts.

So this:

Can become this:

Which can become this (same bike in all three pics):
By Duke of Wybourne.
If you know what you are doing, the very last of the carb models are worth looking at. The normal "Maintenance Schedual" does not apply. More like a " Rolling Maintenance Program ". I've had two EFI/unit construction bikes, both trouble free, but I never got on with them. As already said, you are buying something "pre-historic" with very little ( if any ) improvement, but they are easy fixed, and can be made reliable, just don't take short cuts.
By Wheaters
I bought my iron engined 350 Bullet three years ago, meant to be a winter bike, a rolling restoration. Just meant to be something very different from my 1991 Honda CB750, which is a lovely, totally reliable bike I've owned since 1997. I never thought I'd do many miles on the Bullet.

Since then, the Honda has hardly ever been ridden (it's presently SORN'd)....

...but I've done 16,000 miles on the Bullet!
By wr6133
I have an EFI and a pair of earlier Iron Barrels.

All 3 are unique and pretty special in their own way.

The EFI's have character that you don't find on other modern bikes from the sound through to the way they lay down their torque and power (though power is not in great quantity), they seem pretty dependable too. Other than some electrical issues mine has been fine. They don't require constant light fettling so can hold a convincing arguement for hassle free transport or touring. If you get one I'd recommend fitting a power commander ASAP though, the stock mapping to get through emissions leaves alot to be desired, even Dynojets own canned map on a PCV wakes the engine up noticeably.

The earlier bikes. Even more character! I'm too young to have ridden old Brit iron when it was still a thing so to me they are a totally unique experience. I actually can't quantify why they are so good, on paper they should be terrible but they aren't. They do however as other have said constantly require tinkering with, part of this is I abuse mine off road but part is it's an ancient design not made to the highest standards. None of the maintainence task on these are really hard though, you can do your valve clearances in 10 minutes without any kind of actual measuring tool, I rebuilt the top end on one of mine in an afternoon while also doing a BBQ, they really are simple and seemingly designed with the home mechanic in mind. If I could only keep one it would be one of these.

Spares for either are easily available, right here on this website :D For mods also search through this website, the possibilities are endless.

Most you see for sale will have had a new pipe, the efi bullet/classic you can spot easily as the standard can stretches to the neighbouring postcode. If you appreciate a lively soundtrack they all sound utterly glorious on open cans.

Hope that's of some help, pictures below of mine, coz any excuse to post pictures of them and I do :lol:

535GT (efi)

By Exile
"I'm now at the age where I prefer to plod along...."

Try looking at the new and very affordable Meteor 350. I've been hearing a lot of good about it. Might be the bike for you.
By driftaround
What a wealth of advice and pictures. Thanks.
I think a test ride is needed.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles