This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Andy C
Could have been worse - could have said "past my best :mrgreen:

Like you I also passed my test on a KH250 - OAE 128R probably long gone.
By Wheaters
I passed mine on a BSA C15. CCH 552B. in 1975.

Back then I never wanted a car, in fact had vowed never to own one. Had every intention of going to USA and going feral. Personal circumstances suddenly changed beyond all expectations and by the following year I had to become totally focused and more disciplined and thought I'd better pass my car test, although I couldn't afford any formal lessons. I borrowed someone else's car for the test and passed first time (I had learned how to physically drive a four wheeler at the age of 14, but off road). In 1977 I needed a car to move my kit about and the next bike, an A7SS, finally had to go when it seized a big end bearing and "stuck a leg out" through the bottom of the crankcase on the M1.

After owning a whole variety of cars, some good, some not so good I have gravitated back to two wheels, although I never left; I've seldom been without a bike somewhere about the place. I still own a couple of small cars (actually four cars in total) but other family members now use the better car much more than I do. I commute to work in an old banger and love it. Now planning to retire at the end of this year.

Strange how things turn out, all in all.
:?
By Allanfox
Andy C wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:46 pm
Could have been worse - could have said "past my best :mrgreen:

Like you I also passed my test on a KH250 - OAE 128R probably long gone.
Me too, Black and Gold KH250 JPS special from Fox Kawasaki in Nottingham, TAL 543R, actually a great bike and very reliable, really can't believe what they go for now. I swapped it for a 350 AJS and the rest as they say is history! :D
By Jamesy
I am giving Royal Enfield a third chance with the 650 Interceptor.First was a 2003 bullet 350cc with hopeless front brakes (please no advice I spent months trying to.solve this with all the mods etc) and leaky fuel tap, there was more.Then a 2019 classic 500 that lay in a dealers for 5'months waiting for a part while its exhaust grew a coat of rust(black stealth).Am I crazy or what?.
By windmill john
Gupta, my 350 Bullet. All good. 2nd gear needs to be coaxed, but as long as you’re slow up shifting.
Ari, my Classic 500, better now I’ve fitted a head steady plate. Just done a 100 mile journey to see an old Honda.

I need to get down to two bikes. I have a 2004 F650GS which is sooooo easy to ride. I think Gupta and Ari are going for something more powerful, just haven’t made the decision yet; actually haven’t seen the right bike yet.

Yes, a 650 Interceptor could be considered, but I think I’ll go for an old Japanese or BM
By Andy C
John - if you like singles how about a Honda FT500 / XBR500 or a Yam SR500?
By Nitrowing
Andy C wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:21 pm
John - if you like singles how about a Honda FT500 / XBR500 or a Yam SR500?
I was looking at XBR500's a few weeks ago. Seem to go for about £2000+ but they're... ummm... not pretty? :?
By Duke of Wybourne.
You can pick up a decent low mileage Hinkley Bonnie sans carburettors for under 2k. XBR's/FT's/SR's etc are getting a bit long in the tooth, and don't have the back up for parts like Hitchcock offer for Enfield.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles