This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By windmill john
I’m seriously toying with exchanging both my REs for a 70s Japanese bike.
Why am I writing this? Unsure. But this forum is superb. Should it be the only reason for me keeping the bikes…. I should really sell one of them, but which.
I love the simplicity of Gupta, but I’d like a little more oomph.
I really like Ari… the vibes are a little too much sometimes…. These are probably excuses.
Maybe it’s me… my youth is 70s Japanese.

Hopefully I’ve added a couple of things to the forum. Your knowledge is excellent, Paul has offered additional excellent advice….

I’m thinking of reducing outlay by going down to two bikes, I have a 650 BM as well.
A 70s Japanese will drop tax and MOT.

I’m waffling… no one can help with my decision. It’s obvious that some of you are die hard RE folks; I stare at you Adrian :D I’m a reasonable die hard motorcyclist, but possibly Honda or BM to be honest.

Maybe one of the points of ownership is the foible of what bolt size have they used now…
Why does the front engine mount bolt on my Classic 500 have an AF size head but a metric size nut!
Why is the rear brake set up on my 350 so strange….
Maybe this is enough reason to stay…..
By Mann
:D ha ha John only you will know! After 26 years of air cooled VW's i didnt look back, but after 10 years of slow smallframe Vespas, i miss them. i dunno, all being told you will feel it in your bones over time.
By Nitrowing
The problem with 70's bikes is price. Every owner has got a 'classic' - I saw an XS250 for over £2000 and they were utter shee-ite!
Here's the best I could advise
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184875982911
Not too heavy, very reliable - my first 'big' bike
By windmill john
You’re both right.

When I bought my 350, I was trying to get into British bikes at an affordable price; he still looks lovely.

As I’ve worked on bikes since the late 70s, going to put some noses out of joint here…. A truth some will admit….

Japanese bikes are very very good BMW Airheads are too. I don’t like all the paraphernalia added now and issues it causes.
I want the simplicity of my 350, in a bike that will cruise at 80, but affordable.

I said 70s Japanese because I get the benefit of no tax and MOT. Could go a bit later as long as they are straight forward. Don’t mind fiddling but…. I recall changing the fuel filter on my Oilhead BM…… ZZZZzzzzz or adjusting the timing belt on an RS!

Bottom line, if I can admit it…. Might be itchy feet, but I think getting down to 2 bikes is a sensible approach. Always happy to get a tiny thing for the shed, Puch etc.
By Wheaters
I also own a 1991 Honda CB750 Nighthawk (Japanese home market model, electric start only). It's a lovely bike and I've owned it since 1996 when I lived in Hong Kong; I imported it myself in 1998.

It is a very smooth, high quality machine and I'd say it looks like it came out of the factory a year ago. The last time I rode it I was asked if it was a new model! The only thing that's ever gone wrong on it is the front brake light switch, which didn't work when I bought it - immediately fixed under the dealer's warranty. Since then it's had regular oil and filter changes and a carb service. I also fitted a new chain and sprocket set last year, although they weren't really worn. The bike is now over 30 years old and has done only about 14,000 miles.

Since I bought the RE Bullet 350 (kickstart only) three years ago the Honda hardly ever gets ridden and it has been SORN'd for quite some months now.

On the other hand, I've spent a small fortune on the 350 and have done over 14,000 miles on it since I bought it. It's been an almost total rolling rebuild. I occasionally consider selling the Honda (until I next ride it, of course...).

Why do I prefer riding the RE? The Honda is almost too competent at what it does and therefore slightly bland. The Bullet has far more character and SOUL.
By windmill john
Yes, fully get all the comments. I rode to work on the 500 today and a couple of times couldn't get second. It is quite critical to chain slack.
I guess it's decision time. When I'm retired, foibles will be more acceptable and whilst I want 'just jump on and ride', I don't need all the latest gimmicks.
So... the bike needs to make me feel good... maybe nostalgic....
People don't talk to me or look at the bike on newer ones, but on the REs, people look, people ask me questions when parked up.
There's so much to this biking world. After 40 plus years of riding, it's still interesting.
By Nitrowing
If I was going for retro looks with modern reliability, I'd go for the W650 they're about £3000
By Andy C
A mans gotta do and all that.

Completley get what you are saying.

Fancy a Jap classic? - you wont go far wrong with a Kawa Triple - had both a 500 and 750 in recent years, and still have the 750.

Neither of them have ever given me any problems, being 2 strokes not a lot to go wrong.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles