This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By windmill john
As above, picture of mine below. I think the replacement is grip is our host’s part 521158.

Why would I get a whole grip!? Open to suggestions. I do not have any Whitworth helicoil kits, only metric.
As the cost of a kit is more than the grip....

Any fixes you can think of?
I’m a little baffled by the thread. Right hander for one and my thread checker shows G 20 1/4. I can see G is Whitworth, just don’t know about the 20, as sites show 19tpi.
Frankly, I am at a loss with anything non metric, years of Japanese, German and Italian bikes!

I can’t really use a kludge like JB Weld, as I need to turn the mirror after each ride to put the bike away.

Answers on a postcard please :)
Attachments
6E077DA4-B199-4389-AF02-48D58A371933.jpeg
6E077DA4-B199-4389-AF02-48D58A371933.jpeg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 1845 times
By papasmurf
windmill john wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 pm
As above, picture of mine below. I think the replacement is grip is our host’s part 521158.

Why would I get a whole grip!? Open to suggestions. I do not have any Whitworth helicoil kits, only metric.
As the cost of a kit is more than the grip....

Any fixes you can think of?
I’m a little baffled by the thread. Right hander for one and my thread checker shows G 20 1/4. I can see G is Whitworth, just don’t know about the 20, as sites show 19tpi.
Frankly, I am at a loss with anything non metric, years of Japanese, German and Italian bikes!

I can’t really use a kludge like JB Weld, as I need to turn the mirror after each ride to put the bike away.

Answers on a postcard please :)
Helicoil insert.
I’d like to have helicoiled it, but if it is Whitworth, it’s cheaper to buy a whole bracket!

If I thought I’d use a Whitworth helicoil kit again, I’d get it.

If it were metric, I might have the helicoil kit. I’m sure I was told it’s AF or Whitworth; 2002 350 Bullet.

I’ll pop to the shed now and see if it is metric.
Just got back in from the shed. 1.25 metric thread gauge is perfect, but that does not appear to work with my M10 1.25 tap or die.
Checked again and the 20G 1/4 thread gauge also fits perfectly. Obviously I’ve got the mirror, threads perfect and I’d rather ride with the mirror.
Just don’t want to spend £30 plus for a helicoil kit that might not be used again. Right hand thread on the right hand mirror.
Sorry Pete, typing whilst you typed.

Confused! 1.25 metric fine thread gauge fits, but my m8 and M10 kits do not thread on the threads.

I have no idea what threads the mirrors are. I’ll check my M10 nuts tomorrow. When I stick a vernier caliper across the mirror threads, it’s about 9.5mm
By stinkwheel
You could stick a grommet in it/file off the boss and use a stand-alone mirror clamp off a popular online auction site for about £2.50.

Or replace the whole lever perch with a brand new one for a whopping £11.64 from our hosts.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles