This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Andy C
Out and about on the Him yesterday, being fairly out in the sticks I rode along quite a few minor roads which tractors had been using and were covered in mud and other crud.

Happy to say I fitted the rear hugger & front mudguard deflector from our hosts - both were very effective in keeping crud off the bash plate at the front, and the rear shock.

2 very worthwhile accessories - appreciate that the hugger may not be suited to serious off roading due to hugger to tyre clearance but if you are only riding roads it is very worthwhile.

The "jury" is stil out on the Booster Plug I would say that throttle response is improved at low throttle openings, and dare I say it feels like it has a little more pulling power. Not fully confident yet that it stops the random cutting out 100% , but it has greatly reduced it without doubt.

I have had it cut out a couple of times since fitting it but I put that down to crap Tesco Petrol that I had to use when I was running low when out on a run. Using my usual "branded" fuel - non superarket it does not seem to cut out.
By Andy C
Did consider the "sock" but opted for the "Hugger".

Suprised you have never experirnced the random stall when pulling away, thought all Himalayan owners had.
By Duke of Wybourne.
Andy C wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:30 pm
Did consider the "sock" but opted for the "Hugger".

Suprised you have never experirnced the random stall when pulling away, thought all Himalayan owners had.
I always let the bike gently warm up, and ride it smoothly (smooth doesn't mean slow) my UCE bike (apart from having to replace all the rubber components) didn't give me any problems either. It ran a bit rough for around 10 - 15 minutes from a cold start, but non issues like that are easy to live with and, for me, don't warrant wasting time on. Out of all the Enfields I've owned to date, the Himalayan is by far my best. The only issue so far as with my 500 classic UCE, is the rotten quality rubber components which really needs to be addressed by Royal Enfield quality control.
By Andy C
Like you I treat my Him carefully when warming up - gentle on the throttle, dont thrash it.

The stalling issue is totally random, on occassion it would just cut out for no reason.

I hasten to add that it only does this when you go to pull away, since fitting the booster plug the issue has by and large gone away.

I know of one owner (from another forum) who got rid of his Him because of this issue, that person also knew of an instance of someone being "rear ended" due to the bike randomly stalling.

If you search the web you will find a few people reporting this problem, perhaps you are lucky in that you have never experienced the problem, and I hope it stays that way for you.

A
By Duke of Wybourne.
Andy C wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:10 pm

If you search the web you will find a few people reporting this problem,

A
I think sometimes it's better for the problem to show itself first, then look. Pre internet days I would have had a Bullet long before I eventually did because I listened to too many people saying how bad they were, where in fact I have found the reverse. For anyone who has ridden a bike with a GP carb on it in traffic, then you know what the potential of stalling is all about, and no electric foot for a quick restart either. :D
By Andy C
Agree - if it aint broke dont try and fix it.

I honestly hope you never experience the random cut out - it really does spoil the bike.
By Trev
Only a few weeks into my Himmy ownership and Christmas prep, Covid and a week one drowning of the bike have limited mileages to just over 200. The bike was nearly new to me and still hasn't quite reached the 1,000 mile mark so still a way off being ran in but I've not experienced any cutting out, misfires or the like yet (apart from when I drowned the poor thing!). I do have a 2008 efi 500, the very first of the UCE motors, so am used to Enfield ownership and, so far, the Himmy, feels like a quantum leap forward, even if not quite as 'peppy' as the UCE.
The mods I have are:
Complete ACF50 of the bike - twice! along with silicon grease for terminals and electrical plugs
Greased rear linkages and headstock bearings
Conti Twinduro tyres
YSS 10mm longer shock
Shock tube
Flexible number plate
Lowered the forks 5mm in the stantions
Front mudguard risers
Acerbis bush guards
Hitchcocks shorty levers
Hitchcocks 'performance' air filter
Hitchcocks rubber clutch lever/cable guard
NGK spark plug
Pushbike mirror replaced the originals
Cable tied tops of fork gaiters to keep them in place
Phillips uprated headlight bulb
Gloop tyre sealant added
Keis heated jacket/battery tender lead fitted
Oxford heated grips
relocated temp sensor (still reads a bit high so have Hitchcocks extended cable to allow me to relocate near headstock)

I have the Hitchcocks air delete kit and a second hand (like new, done 200 miles only) Lextech silencer to try as well but want to get a feel for the bike as is before I fit them.

Further mods/additions I have in mind is to get the seat modified with a gel insert and slightly higher position, chop the screen down, pull strap (Kriega or similar) on the front yoke, waterproof roll bag for one front pannier (Lomo or similar) and a fit a tool tube somewhere. Again those can all wait (with the exception of the pull strap) until I've put some miles on the thing. I like it so far, it is was it is and seems the perfect bike for the cr*ppy weather we have at the moment.
DSC_1932.JPG
DSC_1932.JPG (950.31 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
By Andy C
Trev - quite a list of mods.

Mine has had a Lextec pipe fitted since new - the dealer I bought the bike from gave me a good deal on it, I am convinced that the bike pulls better with the baffle removed, but it really does crackle / bark with it removed, so it has since been re fitted.

I am sure that you will notice an improvement with the air delete kit,I had mine fitted at the first service, it feels like it improves pick up according to my seat of the pants dyno.

I agree - perfect bike for all this crap weather of late.
By Andy C
Meant to ask - was the rear suspension linkage dry. I have heard reports of them not being well greased.

Might pull mine apart when I need to replace the rear tyre.

Just over 4000 miles now.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles