This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By windmill john
Raising the revs will (read, cover up an issue) most stalling issues. I’m sure a lot of people do this for many bikes to cover badly set up or worn carbs.
Most likely on the Himalayan, it will be due to the excessively lean mixture required nowadays and the TPS fix is most likely the cure; as long as you know exactly where to set it.

With BMW Oilheads, when setting the throttle balance you need to set the TPS voltage at exactly a certain voltage; can’t recall it without looking it up, but it was critical to .something of a volt. Before I did all my own work, one dealer set it so wrong that my tank range went down to 140 miles from over 200!.

Setting it on a Himalayan is obviously different as that article mentions two different settings. Don’t play with these settings unless you know what you are doing.

John
By Andy C
John

"Don’t play with these settings unless you know what you are doing" - don't worry, I wont !!

Fitting the booster plug seems to have all but eliminated the problem, it does richen up the lower end of the rev range so you would expect it to have some impact.

It's a shame that some Himalayan's suffer from this problem as randomly cutting out has the potential to put you in a dangerous situation, I tend to gently blip the throttle if I am in a situation where cutting out could be a danger.
By windmill john
The foibles of bike riding! I found this happened a number of times with Honda single traillies, whether it be different year Dominators or Vigors. They had carbs. In their cases, it could have been lean mixture, idle speed, temp at manifold evaporating fuel etc.

Imagine cars having the same foibles :roll:
By RocketRR
Weird I have had mine over 2 years, I think I had one of the first batch delivered and I have only had it stall once and I put that down to me being two up with luggage and not paying too much attention. My main gripe I think has been poor front brakes improved greatly with new pads and oil leaks from the barrel which again was cured with slightly longer bolts and some Yamabond. Other than that awesome bike used for daily commute and green lanes and two up trips. Have done loads of mods and thinking of the big bore and cams next.
By windmill john
It’s interesting what you say about the front brake. The one on my Classic 500 is the worst disk brake I’ve ever had. Still love the bike, it’s just that I need to incorporate more rear percentage more often than normal. My recent 1976 CB500T front solid disk was much better, plus other bikes.
By Andy C
Front brake is starting to concern me a bit now.

When new I thought it was pretty good but now I push the bike on a bit more, I find it a bit lacking. Back brake is brilliant.

I did see if there was any way of re positioning the front caliper as the pads do not cover the whole surface of the disk - think this has been mentioned before, however I cant see any way that you can re position the caliper.

Guess I should invest in a set of our hosts pads for the front.

Front brake and stalling issue aside, I love this bike I have done just over 4000 miles on it so far, riding it all year round and on all types of road from motorway to pretty muddy back lanes.

Perhaps my expectations are not that high as I bought it to replace my old all winds and weather ride MZ ETZ 250 - which oddly enough I wish I still had.........
By RocketRR
Get the new pads you won't believe the difference best upgrade to date for me :D
By Trev
RocketRR wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:13 am
Get the new pads you won't believe the difference best upgrade to date for me :D
In my previous long list of mods, I forgot to mention that I'vehad EBC front pads fitted , the 'off road' versions, since I've had the bike and the front brake is okay, not brilliant but suits the bike and definitely way better than the hilarious demo I tried when they first came out.

I've also added a made in USA DoubleTake mirror, the shorty version and (a forced mod due to yet another off :shock: ) alloy handlebars from Coopers MC's, they're a lot lighter, and hopefully stronger, than the originals and come with a brace bar. They don't seem quite as high, maybe 5mm or so lower and not quite as pulled back, 5mm again?, but I am going to add bar risers anyway as the reach to that bars when standing, even with the standard bars, is a bit too much for me.
By Andy C
RocketRR wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:13 am
Our hosts have despatched a set today.

Going to have to wait untill the lockdown is over before I can test them :(

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles