This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Nitrowing
windmill john wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:03 pm
Trev wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:40 pm
I much prefer the XS650 :D
To me, the XS650 engine, the most beautiful looking engine ever; a work of art
I'd swap my 500 lump for an XS650 motor in a heartbeat :D
By Trev
windmill john wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:03 pm
Trev wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:40 pm
I much prefer the XS650 :D
To me, the XS650 engine, the most beautiful looking engine ever; a work of art and I think the Bullet engine looks like a real engine.
When I was a kid you wouldnt have caught me dead even looking at an XS let alone riding one (I was a LC kiddie) but I have to agree with you, 'tis a beauty.

Attachments
XS650.jpg
XS650.jpg (951.56 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
By windmill john
Trev wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:17 pm
When I was a kid you wouldnt have caught me dead even looking at an XS let alone riding one (I was a LC kiddie) but I have to agree with you, 'tis a beauty.
The different camps are so strong. There is the two stroke brigade and the four stroke brigade. Sometimes amazes me how different the riders can be.
There are some Lambretta riders who I think genuinely wouldn’t be seen dead on a Vespa.
I think I’m more four stroke than two; did pass my test on a KH triple though.
By Wheaters
I must admit I like most two wheelers, irrespective of power plant type. Having said that, I’ve never really “got” Harley-Davidson behemoths. Far too unwieldy for my liking. Their owners seem to be a breed apart and they seldom acknowledge other passing bikers with the customary nod of the head.
By papasmurf
Wheaters wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:29 am
I must admit I like most two wheelers, irrespective of power plant type. Having said that, I’ve never really “got” Harley-Davidson behemoths. Far too unwieldy for my liking. Their owners seem to be a breed apart and they seldom acknowledge other passing bikers with the customary nod of the head.
Hardly Dangerous, buy the dream, own the nightmare.
By Nitrowing
Wheaters wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:29 am
I can appreciate most bikes, I had an FXRS1340 which was beautiful and sounded awesome. Pity I got wet when it was raining and had nowhere to carry anything! As for other owners... I tore one a new hole when he started ridiculing my 'ancient' HD in a dealership. A tubby retired wannabe realized he was exactly that :twisted:
I wouldn't be without my 1500 Wing although I avoid Wing owners too as most I've met aren't much different to HD owners :lol:
My RE is really cute but if I do keep it, it'll be town use only.
... but my heart belongs to the RG500 - my YamaGamma just doesn't 'do it' in the same way - there's nothing like ripping through 9000rpm on a 4 cylinder 2 stroke :)

Although I may appear to disparage the Meteor, it is a cute bike. It just doesn't tick any boxes for me.
By windmill john
I spent six months working in a Harley dealership..................................

Sorry for the pause, I just felt an icy shiver down my spine :roll:

There are a couple of models I wouldn't mind riding, but would hate to be tarred with the brush. There were a couple of hardy riders who understood bikes, but there were far more who would come in and mention the speck of rust that I couldn't see and want a warranty claim.
Well, if you will keep it in your garage and not ride it!
I once went to collect two Sporters, his and hers, for their first MOT. Just to remind you that's three years old.... One had 3 miles on it, yes 3 and the other had 30.
They virtually had to be scrapped as they had been left in a barn and had deteriorated.

I will say (duck's head under parapet) that having a Classic 500 reminds me a little of Harley ownership. We could buy a Japanese bike that goes faster etc, yes more money, but... But with Harleys, you pay more money and not as fast.

Ain't nowt as queer as motorcyclists!
By Nitrowing
windmill john wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:16 am
I will say (duck's head under parapet) that having a Classic 500 reminds me a little of Harley ownership. We could buy a Japanese bike that goes faster etc, yes more money, but... But with Harleys, you pay more money and not as fast.
I'm seeing exactly the same behavior apart from paying a huge cost upfront - throwing a ton of effort and time into a poorly designed bike for the kudos of riding it.
There's a reason people pay more for modern motorbikes - engineering has come a long way. Why fight old tech into submission, when there's much better to be had, apart from bragging rights?

I'm seriously looking at the W650 as a replacement.
By Wheaters
These days I don’t need to rely on a two wheeler for daily transport, years ago I did have to and at one time said I never wanted a car. These days, four wheels does the job, two wheels are for leisure. By spending a little here and there, rather than putting all my eggs in one basket, I can afford more than one vehicle.

My other bike, a CB750 Nighthawk is a very good bike, even though It’s just coming up to its 30th birthday. I’ve owned it for over 23 years. It’s very easy to look after and very reliable but for entertainment value (which for me is what it’s all about), I prefer the Bullet 350.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles