This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
I’m a bit confused by the bolt above the gearbox thingy.

Picture is Gupta, my bullet.

Second is a link to a bike on eBay. It has a bolt above the gearbox.

For my education, please explain, thanks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1958-Royal-E ... SwZFNfRT3B

John
Attachments
A86198CA-62B9-47EF-B283-274F689C9C33.jpeg
A86198CA-62B9-47EF-B283-274F689C9C33.jpeg (528.42 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
John, you’ve just posted one!! :lol:

The through bolt is the big one which sits through the frame below the middle of your air filter in that photo. The gearbox attachment plates are held on by it.
By Adrian
That one is Redditch-built, the Indian factory didn't get going until a bit later in the 50's.

For the pre-EFI Bullets we're looking at 4 different frames. Allow me to demonstrate using pictures nicked from our hosts' used parts web pages.

1. Early Redditch, where the Indians fitted the long through bolt in later years, there were originally a couple of bits of tubing in roughly a U-shape which met the down post under the seat:

2. Then Redditch came up with a variant featuring cast swinging arm lugs. This is a Clipper frame with a different front engine lug but otherwise similar:

3. Then we have the "new" frame which stated to be fitted on 1956 Redditch Bullets and twins, up until the last Interceptor. A few were shipped to India, but apart from the odd prototype, the Indians never built any. The seat and tinware amidships on these is totally different from the Indian Bullet toolboxes/air filter/battery box.

4. Finally we have the standard Indian Bullet frame, like yours, which anyone who has all but a very early Indian Bullet will recognize, a variant on no. 1, you can see the nut for the long through bolt. The Electra-X and Thunderbird models used the same frame with some different brackets, the EFI Bullet frames (apart from the 535CGT) are outwardly similar.

Does that help for starters?

A.
Thanks Adrian, clear now I keep staring at it.

I was happy with dates, it’s just when I saw the bolt on the Redditch one, I was confused. But I can now see the difference. The Indian one going through the ‘V’ of the frame and the Redditch frame curving and joining the down tube above.

I just remember reading that if it has a bolt above the gearbox, it’s Indian, but I now see the difference.

John
Hi Paul,

Not just the article. I remember one of your videos mentioning it; well more than mentioning it ;)

I remember you saying about people trying to pass off Indian as Redditch built. It’s just when I saw the bolt above the gearbox, I didn’t understand. Now I’ve seen the differences, it all makes sense.

Anyway, can’t stop, it’s Gupta’ s day to take me to work :mrgreen:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles