This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
Definitely no lead shot in engine starter cartridges!

RAF Chipmunk aircraft has a cartridge starter for their Gypsy Moth engines. It had a repeat facility, with a number of cartridges arranged in a rotary magazine which looked like a giant revolver pistol. First aircraft I ever flew in, fifty years ago.

Another aircraft engine start system was “AVPIN”, albeit for jet engines. It used a highly volatile liquid fuel which didn’t need external oxygen to burn. That fuel produced a lot of gas, enough to spin the engine very fast. Nasty stuff though. I remember seeing Vampire and Hunter aircraft using it to start.
By Duke of Wybourne.
p wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:37 pm
just wonder if anyone ever made the error of using the hammer with tractor in gear......
It shouldn't happen, because you need prime the combustion chamber with fuel first which is done by hand cranking it by several revolutions, then bringing the piston up to the correct position by hand using the flywheel, which would show up if it was in gear.
By papasmurf
p wrote:
Love the old FM tractor start; just wonder if anyone ever made the error of using the hammer with tractor in gear......
An internet search mentioned using a shot gun cartridge, the shot would do all manor of harm - so did they use unleaded I wonder.
That is a blank cartridge usually 12 bore or 16 bore. They are still in common usage on a wide range of applications including starting light aircraft engines.
From personal experience of things you only ever do once, if you put one of those blank starters cartridges in a vice and hit the primer with a small hammer your vision is blurry and your are deaf for the next four hours.
By Davedup
That is a blank cartridge usually 12 bore or 16 bore. They are still in common usage on a wide range of applications including starting light aircraft engines.
From personal experience of things you only ever do once, if you put one of those blank starters cartridges in a vice and hit the primer with a small hammer your vision is blurry and your are deaf for the next four hours.[/quote]
papasmurf wrote:
p wrote:
Love the old FM tractor start; just wonder if anyone ever made the error of using the hammer with tractor in gear......
An internet search mentioned using a shot gun cartridge, the shot would do all manor of harm - so did they use unleaded I wonder.
From personal experience of things you only ever do once, if you put one of those blank starters cartridges in a vice and hit the primer with a small hammer your vision is blurry and your are deaf for the next four hours.
We won't ask......
By Stephaned12
windmill john wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:42 pm
Question 1 - Yes, I used to be bothered by that. I now say they are all original. The company is still going. It's the same bike with some different seals, bolts etc. Nit pickers stay away ;)
If someone pushes it, you can say that when they moved tooling to India and then RE India started selling bikes back to England.... You then just stare :mrgreen:

Question 2 - Can't help if you disqualify bumping it! If it started without help, wouldn't that be a perpetual motion engine!

John
So no improvement, as you say since its inception or ...
By Chris [Stockport]
Somebody once told me that he was pleased to see that mine was a "proper" Royal Enfield.
He clearly didn't know much about them, but obviously thought (wrongly) it's a British-made bike.
I said Yes, it's proper, made in India theses days you know. Then I asked him what an improper one would be.
He looked very mixed up.

But it's harder when people have a little more knowledge, to think of things as quickly as that... I can occasionally come up with something a week or two later. I am not fast...

My view is that bump starting is cheating in these terms: there's still outside pressure required to start it. Whereas an electric motor just needs telling to start, ie by switching it on. Or, some of the other ways above.

This is going on too long, but anyway, now you mention perpetual motion machines, my questions...

Perpetual (I think) means forever. So, would it be one if it eventually wore out?
Or, would it be a perpetual motion machine if it required "interference" by lubricating it, though not adding fuel?

I'll now pop into the kitchen and get my tablets
By Boxerman
Chris [Stockport] wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:51 pm

My view is that bump starting is cheating in these terms: there's still outside pressure required to start it. Whereas an electric motor just needs telling to start, ie by switching it on.
But an electric motor needs 'outside pressure' in the form of electricity, from a battery or the mains doesn't it?

Frank
By Chris [Stockport]
I think what I mean is that... electric motors run on ... electricity, and petrol engines... run on petrol.
So, to start an electric motor, just switch on the electricity. But for petrol (or diesel) you can't just give it petrol/diesel and it'll start. They generally need turning by some other means first. (Except, see all the examples above). ;) :?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles