This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
One would obviously employ a man to do that!
By p
A few unorthodox starting systems,
I recall a large Cat diesel in an Irish fishing boat that had a little (twin?) 2 stroke petrol engine cast into the side of it's block which one hand started before engaging this to start the main engine. I also worked on Lister Blackstone engines that had an electric oil pump wired such that the main engine wouldn't start until said pump created pressure to lubrication system of engine, I'm sure that this contributed to legendary longevity, in fact a priming system as found on some early motorcycles. Compressed air starting, air over oil and cartridge starting were other methods used by various manufacturers. I have somewhere a photo of a Hucks starter for early aircraft: this was a pronged high level shaft mounted on a Ford model T chassis which was driven up in front of propeller until prongs engaged, then an auxiliary clutch allowed the shaft to rotate engine to start - I guess driver had to double check he was in reverse before escaping! Inertia starting was another aero engine system of the past. I have seen a spring starter option as a direct substitute and similar size to an electric starter motor on a six cylinder diesel engine - similar theory as the "wind up" starter on some Honda scooters but on greater scale. I'm sure others will be able to add to this list!
By stinkwheel
I once saw a paraffin tractor that you first had to light meths to light a paraffin blowlamp mounted on the engine which in turn heated a coil, which vapourised the fuel which then allowed you to start the engine by swinging the flywheel.

The owner said it was also much easier to start if you heated a kettle of water over the stove and filled the radiator with hot water for the first start of the day.
By Bullet Whisperer
A Suzuki X5 I had in my youth once started when I flicked the kill switch back to 'Run', not long after having stopped it.
By RoSy
I tried this once years ago and my old matchy fired up, using a piazzo gas boiler igniter and wired it to the plug leaving the plug cap in place, with the engine just over TDC carb primed push the igniter, and away it went.
By trophyvase
Fascinating stuff. Suzuki X5 starting after stopping – and mine sometimes wouldn’t stop even after the ignition was turned off. (Great little bike the X5 – stroke twin 200cc that’d show 80mph any time!) Ah well. :?

You know what all this says: 'the exception proves the rule' – that as a general principle an external action is required to start an internal combustion engine at rest.
By p
Love the old FM tractor start; just wonder if anyone ever made the error of using the hammer with tractor in gear......
An internet search mentioned using a shot gun cartridge, the shot would do all manor of harm - so did they use unleaded I wonder.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles