This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
I really think you have chosen the wrong bike.
The Royal Enfield bullet is a work horse, Imagine it as a land rover on two wheels.
It was designed when my dad was a lad when there was a need for this type of design, in fact, that is why it has been so successful in India, a good tough, economical, simple design, that can be repaired with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.
They have towed sidecars and trailers, climbed the Himalayas, done well in various trials competitions.
If you want mad acceleration, either get something modern, or an old two stroke triple.
I'm afraid these can be blown into the weeds by a well sorted Chinese 125!
High performance is not why 99.9% of owners have them.
By PeteF
Exhaust lagging.
I can find no convincing evidence that lagging an exhaust on an engine like a Royal Enfield will have any beneficial effect whatsoever.
I am. of course, disregarding an claims from exhaust lagging manufacturers or suppliers.
The primary use for exhaust lagging is to control temperature in engine compartments (almost always used on boats)
It also has its uses in turbo charged engines.
Neither of these apply to an air-cooled, low tune, ancient design like this.
"Google it to find out it works" - yeah, I believe everything on the 'net (not)
I'd rather take Bullet Whisperer's advice as he makes Enfields go faster than just about anyone in the country. (you can Google THAT)
By Nitrowing
black fingernail wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:28 am
I really think you have chosen the wrong bike.
There's no such thing - all bikes are able to be improved.
black fingernail wrote:
It was designed when my dad was a lad when there was a need for this type of design, in fact, that is why it has been so successful in India, a good tough, economical, simple design, that can be repaired with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.
Which is exactly why it needs fettling - time and materials have improved.
black fingernail wrote:
If you want mad acceleration, either get something modern, or an old two stroke triple.
I'm afraid these can be blown into the weeds by a well sorted Chinese 125!
High performance is not why 99.9% of owners have them.
And I'm not looking for high performance - I'm looking to improve on a basic bike. I've had tuned RG500's, I've got a YamaGamma in the hall, my CBR1000F did low 10's on the 1/4 mile, my nitrous GL1500 does a 12 second 1/4 mile.

I'm amazed at the backlash for wanting basic improvements to a badly finished, poorly engineered, expensive motorbike. I know 2 guys who used to work for shops that sold these new - they have lots of tales to tell about how shoddy these bikes are. My friend's sister just bought a new Himalayan and that's also shocking.

When I've finished fettling this Bullet, it should look virtually identical to any other. Except it'll be a little faster, a little shinier and a little more economical. If those goals are an anathema, that's not my problem.
Just to redress the balance, then. This won the 2018 BHR Pre '62 350 cc Championship. It has won countless races, including a 500 cc race when it stood in for our larger RE racer and it set a new pre '62 350 lap record on Anglesey, breaking the previous lap record, set by a fast rider on an AJS 7R, three times in the one race. It is quite light, but could be lighter. There is a SMALL amount of Titanium on it [nothing much] and strength always takes preference over light weight where necessary. The rev limiter is set at 9,500 RPM. There are also other RE machines owned by the Linsdell familly, which have achieved much more than our machines. Not all RE's are slow and heavy!
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 1770 times
By stinkwheel
PeteF wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:35 am
Exhaust lagging.
I can find no convincing evidence that lagging an exhaust on an engine like a Royal Enfield will have any beneficial effect whatsoever.
It's dead handy to stop you burning your leg on a trails exhaust system. ;)
By Adrian
A quick glance at the front cover of our hosts' 2018/19 catalogue shows that very thing, BUT it's only a partial lagging at the back of the pipe, certainly not done for any cosmetic effect.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles