This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Nitrowing
On the mission to save weight, I decided to purchase our host's aluminium mudguard and stays.
Saving unsprung weight is much more advantageous than sprung weight.
I eagerly opened my parcel 10 minutes ago to discover the mudguard stays are great big lumps of steel :evil:
I'm not going to say 'unhappy' or 'disappointed'. 'Cheated' would come closer. There's no mention of steel in the product description . "Polished alloy with painted stays"
I hope they're not going to complain when I return them. :x
By stinkwheel
I can't help but feel you may have bought the wrong motorcycle when comparing the reality with your expectations?

Wait 'till you notice the steering stem is solid bar...
By Rushour
There's no mention of steel in the product description . "Polished alloy with painted stays"

What on Earth did you expect? painted alloy ???

The weight saving is the mudguard - not the stays - and as everyone has said already - alloy stays will fracture...methinks we need more common sense here...
I'm not going to say 'unhappy' or 'disappointed'. 'Cheated' would come closer.

From 20 years' experience with them, I have not found Hitchcocks to cheat. They do seem to prefer satisfied customers.
That is one good reason for using them rather than some unknown place with a slight price advantage. I have always found the bit extra you pay with Mr H is given back in quick delivery and excellent service.

If anything, maybe a misunderstanding. Hope you end up with the result you want!
Chris
By Nitrowing
They've been good when I've had a problem, they're quite happy to accept my return.
If your alloy stays are fracturing then they're either not thick enough or the wrong grade of aluminium!
Forks flex and twist.
Forks with only one brake disc are much worse - I can even feel it with single disc upside down forks that have a large diameter spindle.
The easy work-around on standard forks is a brace but not at £250 :o
When I can buy a brand new aluminium mudguard for £40, paying triple that I expected alloy stays.

It's only the wrong bike if it doesn't go and stop when you want. If people are prepared to put up with expensive, unreliable, over-weight, ill handling, leaky time-bombs, that's up to them. I'm not. That's why I sold the Harley :lol: :lol:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles