This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
Some say nylon lined cables don't need lubrication because the nylon IS the lubrication and claim that using oil down them will cause damage. However, I've argued my viewpoint before that nylon absorbs moisture and steel will rust from the same moisture, then the strands fail and it all jams up. So mine do get oiled, nylon lined or not, using my hydraulic cable oiler which I've had since the early 1970s. As well as the factory clutch cable on my 350 Bullet I've just re-done the one on my 1991 Honda CB750 - that's the original, 29 year old one and there's no sign of deterioration at all. Smooth as silk in fact.

But other opinions are available.... :lol:
By windmill john
Exactly why I raised the question, thanks Wheaters. I have lubed nylon ones in the past and I’ll do the same then as there’s no definite no.

I do find 3 in 1 is pretty light and delicate. Or....... might even try a silicone spray! Ooh decisions :mrgreen:
By Rattlebattle
Hmmm. A few years ago I had a BMW R1100RS. It had a nylon-lined clutch cable ( or at least it looked like it was nylon-lined). I oiled it. One day after returning from a ride I parked on the driveway and pulling the clutch lever to put the gearbox into neutral I found that the cable was locked solid. The clutch had gradually become stiffer during the ride. On inspection at the gearbox end it appeared that the “nylon” lining had melted at the end of the outer cable where I had oiled the inner one. I had to replaced the cable and ever since have never used engine oil to lubricate nylon cables. Just saying.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles