This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By macg4
Following some recent near misses, I have reluctantly decided to join the Borg Collective. Could the forum offer any advice on motovlogging equipment? After many years of riding defensively, I have decided resistance is futile...
By stinkwheel
So is filming your crash (fultile, that-is). A camera doesn't stop you having a crash, just makes it easier to apportion blame after the fact... The thing is, you're still lying in the road, camera or no camera.

So, a drift ghost is £150. A 12 month membership package of an IAM group, including the advanced test, is £149.

One of these things is useful for preventing motorcycle accidents, the other thing costs a pound more.
By macg4
Ok Papa I'll begin to ride aggressively, and film the resulting carnage...
By Nitrowing
A camera? :roll:
I remember having to give some fellow GoldWing riders a reality check when they were discussing hi-viz vests - if drivers can't see a 4' wide & 10' long flying chrome & lights Wurlitzer, how is a yellow bib going to make a difference?! :lol:
Nothing is going to stop a car pulling out. Cars pull out in front of lorries and trains.
An advanced riding course is a much better investment
By windmill john
I’ll have to disagree on the hi-vis. I don’t want to wear it and I only do dark nights and winter.
But, it does give you a heads up. There are many times I’ve ridden on country roads and ahead in the distance, a flash of yellow two or three bends ahead above a hedge row, a horse rider wearing one. And some of these times, you only catch a glimpse of yellow, but it pre warns you that there may be something ahead. Seen the same with bikes obviously.

In this context, good enough for me.

John
By Wheaters
I first rode a motorbike on the road in the early 1970s. Back then it wasn’t compulsory to wear a helmet, but I did. I always rode with my headlight on, which no one else seemed to do. That used to enrage some car drivers. I was accosted at a junction by one who got out of his car, ran across to me and pointed at the headlight! I said thanks, you have obviously seen me, which is why I ride with it on. I could see his angry expression change as the penny dropped!

My 1991, Japanese home market Honda CB750 doesn’t have a light switch; the lights come on with the ignition.

These days I ride fast but defensively and in particular don’t carry out manoeuvres such as “Lane splitting” because I consider it far too risky. People who do are relying on all other drivers being alert and sensible, which many are not. All it takes is one car driver to wander and for a handlebar/mirror clash and the rider is off and under the wheels of following traffic.

Having been hit from behind by a car driver in my younger day and subsequently found myself under a following coal lorry (luckily without being run over by a wheel)I don’t think I’d get away unscathed in today’s busier and faster traffic.
By stinkwheel
One thing about hi-viz is oversaturation, there is so much of it about now it's losing its impact. In particular, yellow hi viz is often worn by slow moving road users (cyclists, horse riders, pedestrians) so people associate it with something going slowly.

As well as something visible, you need to give people something unexpected to snap them out of their daydream (there are good reasons people don't "see" something unless it's unexpected, the brain doesn't pay as much attention as you'd think). This video is interesting: https://youtu.be/x94PGgYKHQ0

Wearing a colour that is NOT yellow is a decent plan. Orange hi-viz actually works best in low light/overcast conditions anyway because it reflects blue/green light back as orange. Suffers less from oversaturation but still associated with slow moving objects (road workers wear orange hi-viz).

The inevitable conclusion is we should wear pink hi-viz. However, it's hard to find it in my size and robust enough to stand up to high speed riding.

Sadly, I think daytime headlights are also now suffering from oversaturation with all new cars having daytime running lights. The effect of a motorcycle headlight becoming masked in a background field of car headlights is well documented. If everyone has them, no-one may as well have them.

We have one thing left which is movement. We can position ourselves to be seen. Also cars can't move sideways much in the lane. A slight weave on the approach to a junction creates a movement a car can't do and people aren't used to seeing. Our hunters brain immediately notices it and draws our attention to it.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles