This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Duke of Wybourne.
Sadly, in general, no. Locally I have a proper old school workshop run by a father and son. My experience with service during the warranty period on my Himalayan has been poor. I moved home recently, and no longer have the luxury of my own fully equipped workshop, so I now have to trust someone else for the first time in my life. Thankfully the aforementioned father and son team are uo.to speed on Enfield 's so they'll get my business when the two years is up if not before.

In retrospect, I wish I'd kept my 350 Bullet, which in combination with our hosts excellent supply of parts, and simplicity of repair, I wouldn't need to go near a main dealer. :(
By Charlie bob
The dealer l bought my b5 2017 from was the worst l have ever know from Manchester not sure if l can name him anyway first service he said could not be bothered to do service so he sent me a oil filter in post leave now found a good dealer near Louth who did the 600mile service and put right all things not correct it dealer in Manchester had not even pdi it
By PeteF
I had my first service on a new C5 done at the dealer and I left tell tails on lots of the fastenings he should have undone. The only one he touched was the oil drain. Even then he put too much of the wrong grade in and over-torqued the drain plug. The filter wasn't changed even though I was charged for one.
As you can imagine, we had a frank exchange of views.
He won't be getting his hands on it again as I'll do it myself from now on. If that voids the warranty so be it but I don't do many miles anyway so I'll risk it.
I've probably done enough to the bike to arguably have voided the warranty anyway :shock:
By trophyvase
These tales of woe are far too common and too often the ‘service’ dealers offer is well-below any acceptable standard. I’d only want to make a couple of comments.

I wonder if these dealers – who in many cases sell bikes far more intricate and complex than any Royal Enfield – cut the same corners and try to pull the same tricks on riders with high-revving multi-cylinder all-bells and whistles machines.

My second comment is that it was no different 50 years ago! I worked for a dealer who was a paragon of fairness – meticulous in servicing etc and often reduced charges where he felt the rider would find it hard to find the pennies. But that was very much the exception! Many dealers were as untrustworthy then as they are now.
By PeteF
It's interesting that in all the years I've had REs I've known only one excellent dealer and one good one. Neither are now dealers after Moto GB took over.
By Duke of Wybourne.
PeteF wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:53 pm
It's interesting that in all the years I've had REs I've known only one excellent dealer and one good one. Neither are now dealers after Moto GB took over.
It is like most other things, it's all about shifting units, and flash displays. The stocking levels required killed it for the small dependable dealers. The once dependable dealer in my neighbourhood although no longer a RE dealer, still gets plenty service work, and is glad to do it.
By trophyvase
Is it very different with car dealers? Are they any more reliable by-and-large?
I don't know - it's a question.
And what about builders/plumbers/electricians/doctors/police/politicians?

:(
By Mann
My 2018 CS came from a dealer second hand at 3500 miles; they had sold the bike to the first owner and carried out the first 2 services before taking the bike back in PX to sell (which i then bought).

There was no evidence that the full RE recommended inspections and checks of the first and second services has been carried out other than oil changes. But more worringly was the fact that the main sump plug needed helicoiling whilst they did the second service! Only they would have every touched the sump plug themselves ...……………………..!!!!! It was helicoiled from the outside of the case and now I am servicing it myself I am removing the swarf by doing oil changes every few hundred miles!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles