This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Duke of Wybourne.
My bike is my only form of transport. Previous to the Himalayan I had a EFI Classic, which apart from replacing the original rubber, hoses, grommets etc, the bike gave me no problems whatsoever in just over five years of ownership. I notice the rubber components on the Himalayan are going the same way, so that'll be a job on the cards. Otherwise the bike is fine. Pre lockdown I knocked up some long runs, and I cruise at the same speed I did in the old bike (60mph). Re the battery discharge issue that many are experiencing, because I have no access to mains electricity where I keep my bike, I use a decent solar charger with regulator, which has kept everything fine during periods of inactivity during lockdown. I'm now on my 6th Enfield, and fingers crossed, this is shaping up to be the best. I noticed quite a difference once things had slackened off. Only disappointing thing is I had a couple of long trips planned for this year which due to the current world circumstances, I've cancelled. Once you get your head round "slow" everything becomes fine. I had a short spell with a Transalp, and where it gained on speed, the Himalayan gains on range, about another 100 miles out of a tank. The Satin black tank is very easily marked though, and the original rear tyre wore out quick.
By windmill john
Maybe this question should be on the technical forum, as I’m only a year into Enfields, what’s this business with the hoses etc?

I have an EFI and an iron barrel.

John
By Duke of Wybourne.
windmill john wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:37 pm
Maybe this question should be on the technical forum, as I’m only a year into Enfields, what’s this business with the hoses etc?

I have an EFI and an iron barrel.

John
They rotted/perished. The first one to go was the tank overflow pipe. I also found out the original rubber doesn't like ACF-50. I replaced the fuel lines with stuff I had, and the grommets and terminal covers etc with quality stuff from the site host. If the one for the generator wires where they exit the casing requires replacing, the new one can be split, then glued with Stormsure Wellington boot sealer. I would imagine giving its age, your iron barrel will be fine, unless it still has any of the original fuel lines etc. First thing I did with my older ones was take all the original stuff off and replace it. Two quid worth of those can save a walk home. :D
By Rattlebattle
The rubber parts on my C5 have perished too. The tank overflow pipe was the first to go ( heat maybe?) and the crankcase breather hose has a lot of cracks in it. I replaced the former with some hose I already had but I'm waiting for our host to restock the shaped crankcase breather hose which seems to have been unavailable for some time. Not critical though on my carb-equipped bike. A few grommets are a bit iffy too.
By Andy C
Good to hear that your Himalayan has been good to you.

Mine was a year old at the start of this month and I have just clocked up 3000 miles on mine.

Only modifications to mine are our hosts air delete kit, which I definately recommend, a lextec silencer, and my own mod to cut down the windshield as I hated the pounding the wind was giving my head.

They do take some getting used to, and as you say they are not a fast bike by any stretch.

I use mine mainly for local bimbling around the A and B roads and back lanes around here, I did a 25 mile or so stretch on the motorway earlier this year, it handled it well but I really would not to go much further on a motorway with it.

Great little bike, no complaints so far, and it's a keeper.
By Duke of Wybourne.
Andy C wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:46 pm
Good to hear that your Himalayan has been good to you.

, and my own mod to cut down the windshield as I hated the pounding the wind was giving my head.

How much did you cut off the screen ?
By Andy C
"How much did you cut off the screen ?"

Hard to say, perhaps about half.

I have just measured from the top of the headlight opening in the screen to the "new" top of the screen and it measures 6", that should give you an idea about how much I reduced it by.

Used a fine tooth hacksaw blade to make the cut after marking the cut line with masking tape, followed by fine emery and then solvol to get a reasonable finish to the cut edge.
By windmill john
Remember Duke, this is different for every rider.

Rider height, jacket, snood, helmet design, many things affect the noise and screen design. Think carefully before cutting, DAMHIK.

cutting screen down a lot, does reduce buffeting, but you’ll get more noise at speed and more chest pressure.

Consider a higher screen and if that no good, higher screen with something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Motorcycl ... %3A2334524

Love the way the description says UK and it’s from China. I’ve got one similar on my 700 Transalp. Works wonders, but a similar design on my old 650 Transalp didn’t..... hence what I’ve said above.

John
By Andy C
I agree - don't cut without thinking first.

Cant say that I have noticed an increase in wind pressure on my chest, probably because I am used to riding bikes with no kind of fairing / wind shield.

I did stumble across an article on the web about someone who had cut down their Himalayan screen which inspired me to do mine.

At the end of the day I suffer zero buffeting now, which was the main object of the exercise.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles