This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
I think the flyscreen on that bike is very much out of place and the tyres just don’t suit it either.
By tribonnie
Mean while back at the Derby and Joan all is well, the bingo had just finished and the nice polite young man was making the hot chocolate. Wake up guys it 2020 and the world is ruled by young people with money to spend.
By Presto
The 'flyscreen' I guess is intended to mimic the competition number plate fitted to ISDT bikes in the 'classic' era - 1950s & 60s.
By Adrian
Just a thought, would the new RE 650 twin engine be any use in a Wasp sidecar outfit? Might be a better MX application than a tarted-up roadster.

A.
By Wheaters
It might fit into the frame of a Wasp but from experience of marshalling on classic trials, I'll never own one, simply because if ever there was an off road vehicle designed to maim or kill its occupants, a motorbike and sidecar definitely fits the bill!

On a steep unsurfaced hill, the sidecar wheel is bound to hit its share of rocks, or drop into holes. This tends to pull the outfit to that side (to the left on a UK outfit). To get over the rock, or out of the dip, the rider has to apply more power, whereupon the rear driven wheel pushes the outfit even further to the left. The outfit might already be needing a lot of right lock to stay straight on the hill.

This sends the outfit towards the bank on the left side, possibly against full right lock. The sidecar wheel then runs up the bank and the outfit flips over to the right. I've helped pick up a lot of competitors who have fallen foul of this dirty trick; not unusual for them to suffer broken wrists/arms/shoulders as they try to fend off the ground and have the sidecar land on them from above! :shock:

Here's one doing it on the flat! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwVmIUmwBI
By Boxerman
Adrian wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:45 pm
This was the sort of thing I had in mind, sorry for the gratuitous Van Halen music.
When I see 'scrambler' this is the kind of bike which comes to mind - with or without the sidecar.
I seems though, in the modern idiom, that scramblers are just road bikes with high level exhausts and knobbly tyres

Frank

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles