This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Daiwiskers
Just been thinking what would I build if the parts were available and money no object

Norton featherbed frame Road holder forks Hagon shocks
Edit not sure about the road holder forks I would probably Go BSA

XS 650 motor points and coil ignition, Mikuni flat slide carbs, whatever exhaust looked good possibly triumph hurricane rip off

18" wheels

TLS front brake

SLS rear brake

Modern tyres probably Avon

Styling flat tracker or board racer but with 4 galon fuel tank and trials type bars

Another edit Or a Norton Atlas with a XS650 motor trials bars Harley 4 gallon tank

Ok how about you?
By Adrian
Wish list time?

Norton Model 30 featherbed International. Two, in fact, one as a perfect restoration, one with all the upgrades, but done as tastefully as possible! Favourite bitsa? Would have to think about that.

Britannia Motorcycles' B50-framed XS650 scrambler on Youtube must be nearing completion by now.

A.
By stinkwheel
I'll have an RD400 with TZR250 running gear for the weekends please.

One of the "v-max killer" VF1100 sabre motors in a custom trellis endurance-style chassis with a Britten Hossak front end for touring.
By Allanfox
Catalina Gold Star every time! I am looking at my dissembled AVL Electra X and wondering if the engine would go into a B31 frame for a sort of Catalina replica, AVL ain't a Goldie I now but a good looking engine!
By Spudgun
My turn.

For the past year or so. I've been looking for an AJS Cadwell. I think the retro styling is great, but not perfect. I'd add the rubber knee grips on the tank. Ditch the modern indicators and fit the 70's Lucas type. I'd do the same for the rear tail light.

By far the biggest problem is the weedy 125cc engine. I've found out that the Mash Black 7 uses the same rolling chassis, but has a 250cc engine. I'd get one of those and bolt it straight in.

I'm not keen on the alloy 'clip ons'. I'd ditch those and get a top yolk from an AJS Tempest. Then I'd fit a pair of Ace bars.

I'm not a fan of the exposed springs on the rear suspension. I'd change the units for a pair with covers on them.

The only thing I might not be able to do is dumping the front disc brake for a TLS drum. It's a stretch getting a rear drum to start with.
By Adrian
Allanfox wrote:Catalina Gold Star every time! I am looking at my dissembled AVL Electra X and wondering if the engine would go into a B31 frame for a sort of Catalina replica, AVL ain't a Goldie I now but a good looking engine!
Allan,

I was told by John Hutchings (Tollgate Classics) that he sold an Electra-X he briefly owned to a gentleman who wanted to do exactly what you're proposing, but who gave up when he found it too difficult and just broke up the bike instead! While I have seen a quite well executed BSA/Enfield bitsa on ebay (700 twin engine and gearbox, A7 or A10 frame), I would really not recommend you go down that path.

What you COULD do with a lot less grief is perhaps look at turning your existing Electra-X into some sort of Royal Enfield Fury replica, our hosts will have great pleasure in selling you all you need to pull this off. They actually put together a custom package to turn an ordinary Indian Bullet into a Fury tribute bike, maybe something like this (with a few changes) for your Electra-X? You'd probably want to give the GP carb a miss.

I think I'd use the plain trials alloy yoke with a separate speedometer in its own cup, the 50's headlamp bracket kit, battery box off a Sixty-5 as well as one of the so-called cigar silencers rather than that up-swept thingy. I'd also want gold pin-striping on the tank, but what they've done is near enough to give you an idea.

If that's not classic enough the engine and gearbox will fit the late 50s/early 60's Redditch frames, your Electra's disk brake front end can be swapped across too with the correct bottom fork yoke.

A.
By black fingernail
An old '70's Laverda Jota, or a '70's MV Augusta, suitably altered to a more comfy upright riding position,(I'm too stiff and old for clip-ons and rearsets).
But if it must be British, a Norvin, or a tastefully modernised, brakes etc. Brough superior SS.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles