This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Daiwiskers
Magic moth ball's in the fuel tank?

A great use for exhaust wrap is for convincing the Mrs that you really do need to spend even more money on the bike

Wrap the exhaust after a month or two take it off and show her how rusty the exhaust is

Pike nuts I really don't know what to say about them but they sell in their thousands
By stinkwheel
Mind you, I think there is a reasonably good argument for cutting the ground electrode of a standard sparkplug back. Known as "side gapping".

Particularly on "oily" motors like bullets.
By knapdog
I also believe that with the Classic 500 now discontinued, they will have more value, and be more sort after, as a standard unfettled second hand bike, as close as they came out of the showroom as possible.
By Rattlebattle
I doubt it, at least not in my lifetime. I would imagine that the values will stabilise, rather like the Indian iron barrel ones have. I doubt they’ll ever be considered a true classic, not before internal combustion engines are banned anyway. For me these bikes are like most naked retro bikes- a blank canvass to modify with all sorts of things. The key is to keep the original bits.
By PeteF
knapdog wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 pm
I also believe that with the Classic 500 now discontinued, they will have more value, and be more sort after, as a standard unfettled second hand bike, as close as they came out of the showroom as possible.
That's certainly true!
Many people alter spend lots of money making a bike almost completely non standard then realise they've ruined it, but want all their expenditure back when they sell it!!!!
I got what is going to be one of the last 500s and it's staying standard !
By knapdog
PeteF wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:18 pm
knapdog wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 pm
That's certainly true!
Many people alter spend lots of money making a bike almost completely non standard then realise they've ruined it, but want all their expenditure back when they sell it!!!!
I got what is going to be one of the last 500s and it's staying standard !
I don't for one minute think that we are actually going to get more for our bikes buf I think a lot of them will hold their value.
Remember that people very shortly won't find any new ones in dealers and so if they want one they'll have have to start looking for used.
When I started this thread I was really shaking my head at videos of "improvements" I've seen which made me wonder if the person had bought the wrong bike in the first place.
If you're desperate to get rid of all the vibrations, trying to make it go quicker, add on a tachometer and clock etc, then don't get a Classic 500 in the first place.
I've got three completely different bikes. One of the main reasons I bought the Enfield was because it WAS basic, because it HAD vibrations, because it looked great and was old school.
By Wheaters
PeteF wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:18 pm
That's certainly true!
True, they take off half the bike parts, sell them, then think what's left doubles the value of the bike!

However, there are those who can't tell what's original and what's not. Last week I had someone come up uninvited and look over my bike then tell me it definitely has aftermarket rear suspension units. They're the later ones in light grey paint with the remote chamber and they are exactly like all the other 350 "Home Market" 2004 Electras I've seen, both in the flesh and online (and for that matter, in the Bullet catalogue provided by our host).

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles