This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By knapdog
It is my opinion that some Classic 500's are being spoiled by over the top modifications and accessories that are hardly necessary.
I have seen them with...
Brown grips
Exhaust wrap
Vibration plate,
New exhaust,
Leather straps,
Different handlebars,
Tachometer,
Clock,
Front fender Royal Enfield sign added,
Cranckcase breathers filter thingy sticking out of the casing like a bloody chimney,
Booster ecu thingy,
Bar end mirrors
Etc, etc, etc.......
I'll admit that I have made changes myself.
I have a Goldstar exhaust though could easily have lived with the original, rear rack and longer mirror stalks for safety reasons. That's it. There will be no more.
Visually the bike has hardly changed and that is how it should be, a very basic retro classic which is why I bought it in the first place.
By PeteF
Not very sensitive to post that here on a forum which is funded by Hitchcocks.
They do, after all, make a good part of their living by selling all the items that "ruin" bikes.
By Bullet Whisperer
It is the Iridium plugs that make me laugh - instantly transforming an engine with easier starting, smoother running, more mpg and top speed increased by 10 mph. No need for high compression pistons, hotter cams etc etc!
By knapdog
PeteF wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 am
They do, after all, make a good part of their living by selling all the items that "ruin" bikes.
I understand what you are saying. We need Hitchcock's and appreciate Hitchcock's but I also defend the Classic 500 and my point is that many additions to the bike are unnecessary and ruin the bike aesthetically.
By Wheaters
knapdog wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:46 am
RoSy wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:43 am
Mine came with brown grips and leather straps!!
:lol: I'm talking about the "tan" ones that are almost orange!: :D

Do you call it "The Donald"? :lol:
By Wheaters
Having already sold you the items, I doubt it's caused much offence, especially as the post was obviously meant as light hearted banter.

Will one of those magic Iridium plugs make my 350 go 10 mph faster? If so. I'll get rid of the decompressor and fit two. Then it will go 20 mph faster! :twisted:
By Breezin
knapdog wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:29 am
It is my opinion that some Classic 500's are being spoiled by over the top modifications and accessories that are hardly necessary...
Well said. Lots on that list that I'd question, but in particular what is the point of exhaust wrap? I'd probably see a use for it to save me buying a new pipe, if it stopped a hole.
By windmill john
If I do get the 500, I will be fitting pannier racks and a top box, as it will be used all the time.

The main benefit to iridium plugs is in bikes and cars where it takes approximately 38 years to change them! Due to the fact they last longer. There is a burn factor, but really.... unless you ride an old Honda from the 70s, not an issue. The CB500T I had would sooten plugs sooner than you could say boo... with the mixture set as weak as you could.

So, if you can get to your plugs easily, anyone ride a Bullet :mrgreen: then stick with normal plugs.

John

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles