This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By stinkwheel
Honda maggots seem to be heavily targetted for "customisation" too for some reason I can't quite fathom. They are big, heavy, ugly, were never really all that good in any measurable way and most of them have been round the clock twice as DR bikes.
By Adrian
windmill john wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 pm
Adrian wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:58 am
The Bullet does seem to attract more than its fair share of inept customizing, though so do 70's BMWs for some reason.

A.
I don’t want to be sued for saying the wrong thing but..............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-r65/3336 ... Swmh9e4nCU

:o :shock: :?
Yeah, that sort of thing, though there are worse examples about.

As for plastic maggots, I did find one on a French forum that had actually undergone a really good-looking cafe racer conversion, though such occurrences are rare.

A.
By PeteF
The ones that make me laugh are the ones that have everything possible removed, including the mudguards (why) and described as custom.
By papasmurf
PeteF wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:46 pm
The ones that make me laugh are the ones that have everything possible removed, including the mudguards (why) and described as custom.
My "Maggot," is a CX500C Custom (Factory Produced.)
By Adrian
PeteF wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:46 pm
The seems to be a bit of a herd mentality passing itself off as an expression of individuality. You can repeatedly see yet another Bullet on ebay that has undergone the tick-all-the-boxes bobber humiliation, only to have the seller banging on about how unique his custom "build" is. Just like all the others.

A.
By black fingernail
I don't see anything wrong in making your bike, car, whatever, your own, putting your stamp on it as it were.
If the bike is a ten a penny Chinese thing, do what you like, nothing is lost, but anything out of the ordinary or old, then you have a duty of care. customise it if you like, but make sure it is reversible, no cutting or drilling, and all standard parts removed should be saved. After all we are only custodians until the next owner takes over.
I suppose I am guilty of a bit of tweaking, but all parts swapped are saved and nothing is damaged.
IMG_20191124_121001.jpg
IMG_20191124_121001.jpg (757.5 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
IMG_20200524_151634.jpg
IMG_20200524_151634.jpg (466.24 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
She keeps changing as time goes on, (the Venom exhaust is at the platers as we speak).
By Adrian
Surely the whole aim of customizing should not just be to personalize it but to make it (look) BETTER than it was, though we can come unstuck debating a hipster's view of what looks better compared with a dyed-in-the-wool classic biker's view of what looks better.
but anything out of the ordinary or old, then you have a duty of care. customise it if you like, but make sure it is reversible, no cutting or drilling, and all standard parts removed should be saved. After all we are only custodians until the next owner takes over.
I suppose I am guilty of a bit of tweaking, but all parts swapped are saved and nothing is damaged.

That sadly seems not to be the mantra of so many angle-grinder addicts. My much-delayed (groan...) Electra-X street tracker project has also kept any mods to the level of where all the original bits could simply be bolted straight back on, although I did carefully remove a couple of welded-on but rusty wiring harness clips from the frame, no great loss there. Work in progress. I'm waiting not for the platers but the local blasters/ finishers to paint the tank and front mudguard (not that one, but one of our hosts' 91486) white. Since lock-down started they've been awash with peoples' bike projects.

A.

By black fingernail
I suppose just fitting a comfy seat or changing the engine cover bolts could be classed as 'customising'.
What goes on in the vacuous space between a 'hipsters' ears is not worth pursuing, they obviously know more about bikes than the manufacturers!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles