This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By windmill john
A bit af arc welding... let’s blow through that sucker :mrgreen:

I’ll have panniers, but mine will be my hard Nonfango panniers which have a decent number of trips.
By Rattlebattle
So now for the $64,000 question: whaddya think of it? Is Mrs Windmill happy to sit on the pillion pad? How many miles has it done? we should be told.... :D
By windmill john
Right... you asked for it.... :mrgreen:

Okay, only got it Friday. First ride out... what have I done! Vibes, firm ride, can’t touch the throttle at all to start....

Knocked the rear suspension down one notch, another ride the next day, much nicer.

Started to appreciate it in a different way. It is of the past and once accepted, I love it already.

Took my wife out on it on Sunday, she thought the seat was very comfortable. She found a pad like this on my old T3 Guzzi very comfortable too.

Another ride yesterday, love it.

If I wish to criticise... when you are stationary at lights, the resonance of the vibes goes through my helmet.

But, bottom line..... very pleased. Still on the fence about selling my Transalp. It’s awkward, the way I have to move Gupta, my 350 out of the shed, uncover the Transalp. Move it onto the road to ride the 350. There’s no space to keep the 350 out. I know, first world problem having to move a bike to ride the other. I need to use a ramp, loosen the mirrors, bounce the back end round. It’s more of an irritant, but I think the Transalp will go. Both Ari my 500 Classic and Gupta my 350 Bullet will be used everyday for commuting.
By Rattlebattle
......or you could just move to a property with a big enough garage... :D Glad you like it; despite the various trials and tribulations I still like mine, though I am hopefully a long way off accepting all its limitations as an only bike (I still have a pulse) :)
By windmill john
I was surprise how quickly it turns. I found myself having to correct as it tipped in quicker then I expected. I have a pulse, it can still corner quickly :mrgreen:

My very first ride on it shocked me. I was expecting a bit of a new bike feeling, but it was an almost identical ride and seating position to my old Honda CB500T.

Once I accepted it really is a ‘classic ’ bike, I felt a lot better.

What do you mean only bike... I’ve still got Gupta, my 350 if I want to raise hell :mrgreen:
By Rattlebattle
Whatever one may feel about the variable build quality of these UCE singles one can’t say they don’t corner well, at least with the standard Avon Roadriders fitted. As you say, given the larger than normal (for these days) front wheel, they turn in surprisingly quickly yet still hold a line well. I’ve managed to scrape both types of aftermarket exhaust I’ve tried so I tend to lean off a bit more on right-handers. Hopefully the rear disc on yours is better than my drum brake ( not hard), as I would think braking at speed two-up is a bit marginal.
By windmill john
Braking is not overly powerful, but acceptable.

I have never worked out why anyone puts a disk on the rear. It has never been needed.

With Airheads they were known to seize and are hard to get at; drums are easier.

Braking in summertime is 25% at the rear, even in winter it only reaches 50% max.

Look at Moto GP, the rear wheel is off the floor under heavy braking.
I fully understand the move to front disks and the lack of braking with a front drum when rolling back, but rear disks!!!!!

I’m sure someone will extol their virtues, I have NEVER seen the need for a disk on the back.

Yes I ride Royal Enfield and my other bike is a Transalp, but I had and ridden sports bikes.... still don’t need rear disks....

Anddddd breathe ;)
By PeteF
The move to rear disc was in response to the requirement of ABS in Euro 4.
Not sure you could do ABS on a drum at all but it's easier and cheaper with a disc.

As regards vibration, how many miles has it done? They settle down after a few k.
By windmill john
It’s only done 2550 miles.
How my mileage has changed with a change of work location and no overseas trips. Used to do at least 10,000 miles per year on a bike minimum.

I hope to put on at least 3000 miles in the next year on Ari, bearing in mind I use all my bikes.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles