This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By windmill john
Well Rattlebattle, your skills in persuasion are sadly lacking! Call yourself a negotiator... blooming useless that’s all I can say ;)
Well, I tried to stay away from making my main bike an RE. Need something smoother and bigger for any big trips you said... I agreed..... failed miserably... just bought a 2017 500 Classic :mrgreen:

If it doesn’t fulfil all my dreams, you’ll be hearing from my solicitor RB :D
By windmill john
Six hours old, well, six hours since the PO dropped him off to me.... Meet Gordon.

One missing screw from silencer cowl, plus another half out. Removed the three that were left , lubed, replaced plus the missing One. Passenger foot peg obviously drops down when riding , so removed both, fitted a washer to take up the slack, perfect.
Adjusted clutch cable, lubed chain, checked over, going out for my first ride in half an hour :mrgreen:
Attachments
8360C6E8-407D-46F9-ACE3-8B221C0AF8B9.jpeg
8360C6E8-407D-46F9-ACE3-8B221C0AF8B9.jpeg (554.89 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
By Rattlebattle
Ah, the exhaust cover screws....Despite my C5 being a vibrator the only fasteners that have ever come loose on it are the little screws that hold on the exhaust cover. Locktite doesn't work because the heat melts it, though I suppose you can buy heat resistant types of threadlock. To many it's a temporary problem anyway because the first mod done is to fit an exhaust that doesn't look like a bazooka.....
By PeteF
RB, the screws are very short. I replaced them with slightly longer ones which at least grip all the threads available.
By Rattlebattle
I have a stainless steel Motad on mine. It is road legal, being marked as such. It is mated to our host’s replacement downpipe, allegedly with superior chrome, though mine has pitted a bit and I wish I’d bought the stainless version. It’s louder than standard but not at all offensive. Sadly Motad is no longer with us. Originally I fitted the shorter bottle type silencer from our host. That is louder and of dubious legality. What I would say is that they both save a lot of weight because the original weighs a ton. Interestingly the aftermarket ones only have one rear mount whereas the original has two. Either it needs them because of the weight or it provides rigidity ( probably both). I do wonder whether the original assists in absorbing vibration.
By windmill john
Well, just got back from a reasonable ride. Half way along, the telltale sound of loose tin ware.
Stopped, all four bolts loose!. Nipped them up.
Got home.... two had gone and two loose... another few miles and any cars behind wouldn’t have been happy with a four foot cowl hitting them :shock: :D

Just fitted four slightly longer bolts with spring washers.

I’ve had two Motads in the past. One that fitted perfectly to my 1978 750 F2 Honda and one that fitted badly to a Bandit.

John
By windmill john
I hope these M12 bolts are not overkill....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John
Attachments
361F560F-BFDD-4977-A2D1-E8D543ACEE15.jpeg
361F560F-BFDD-4977-A2D1-E8D543ACEE15.jpeg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1786 times
By Rattlebattle
Nah, can you weld? :D Mine had a thin wire foot guard thingy pop riveted to it. You can guess what happened. I took it off when the first rivet failed. It got in the way anyway. If I were you I’d leave the original silencer on; I don’t think it’s worth messing with a Euro IV other than panniers, screens and what the Yanks call farkels. It’ll probably run fine as it is.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles