This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Daiwiskers
BMW's before the oil head's :lol:

The nice ones when they were made to last
By PeteF
From my experience with a euro 4.
The comfortable cruising speed is 55/60 one up.
I dare say it would be the same 2 up.
After that the engine is not comfortable IMO.
Vibration becomes a problem as well.
It'll do 80.
I did it once......
Won't be doing it again :shock:
By windmill john
Thanks all. Rattlebattle, your point about two similar bikes has been taken on board.
It’s interesting all the comments about top speed. Whilst I’ve heard it will do 80, I was hoping that cruising would be comfortably in the 60s rather than 55-60; my 350 cruises at 50 comfortably.
My 350 is meant to be a keeper. It’s the rank simplicity I like. No hydraulics, carb etc.
But the newer bike being a single will also be easier to work on than my Trannie.
Nothing wrong with the Trannie, but being fuel injected etc at 11 years old, it will be harder to sort out eventually.

Just for your info, on my old Transalp 650, it took five hours to do the tappets. On the 700 I haven’t tried yet but you need to remove the fuel injection bodies and dislodge half the radiator to do it. On the BMW’s it took 15 minutes; Oilhead or Airhead.

I was literally about to email a dealer about a PX and you’re making me stall. This might be a good thing I don’t know.
Strange that no one has come along and said, yes, I use me RE long distance/commuting/ two up etc and said it is great. Maybe that’s a sign.....
By Breezin
Daiwiskers wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:58 am
BMW's before the oil head's :lol:

The nice ones when they were made to last
Thank you for enlightening me! :D

FWIW, I once did about 30 motorway miles one-up on an iron barrel 500, holding it at about 65. Not a pleasant experience.
By stinkwheel
I've ridden my iron 350 the full length of the M6 more than once with full camping gear on board. So between 45 and 60mph depending on hills and headwinds.

Was very boring.

I also rode it from Amsterdam to Saxony in a day, autobahns all the way. That did test the endurance of my backside, the bike was fine though. Did the return journey over 2 days. Cycle shorts and sheepskin seat cover worth their weight in gold!
By windmill john
You’re not helping! ;)

We made a mistake coming back from Switzerland once and ended up doing 700 miles in one day......... NEVER AGAIN!
Not on the Bullet by the way.
By Rattlebattle
Don’t fear the valve adjustment on your Transalp. I did it on my 700 Deauville without difficulty. When it comes down to it it’s really just the complication of removing the bodywork. The rest is easy. I had to loosen one of the radiators on my new Crossrunner to remove the oil filter. It looked more daunting than it actually was and Hondas do fit together superbly well. I must admit I’ll draw a line at doing the valves on that (VTech) but I’ll do the rest. Anyway they don’t need touching until 24,000 miles and I’ll have scratched the itch and got something else by then.
I did a couple of National Rallies a few years ago, clocking up 650 - 700 miles on each for Gold. I doubt I could have done it on my C5. There were compulsory 1hour stops after x checkpoints to lower the risk of riders falling asleep. The early hours of Sunday morning seemed to be when the nutters in souped-up cars are out driving like loonies. Apart from those my longest riding day was 550 miles from home to half-way down France. Just in time to dump our kit and eat at the campsite restaurant then pitch our tents in the dark...
By windmill john
Just watched this:

https://youtu.be/vMuEpP74CoI

He struggled with neutral once and didn’t wave to cars who let him pass....... but..... :roll: besides that, good video, he did 200, then 300 miles. He did say though his bum hurt.

Rattlebattle, I guess you needed to remove your throttle bodies.... didn’t need to do that on the 650.

Stinkwheel, the thing about the south is there are very few off road places. Whilst I ride on road all the time now, if I had a choice, I’d live in Nevada and ride dirt bikes all the time. I know you and Wheaters like your trials.
Not a pretty shot, but 40 degrees heat in Portugal. Rode down there twice and used their bikes.
Attachments
66917A2F-8C84-4DF1-AB5B-6D60F8A95D04.jpeg
66917A2F-8C84-4DF1-AB5B-6D60F8A95D04.jpeg (483.71 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles