This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By stinkwheel
As above, converting a 350 to a 500 is a very known thing. May be worth looking into? I don't think it would take much longer on top of a full engine rebuild.
By Adrian
You can buy 350 crankcases already converted to take 500 top ends, though as they're not from our hosts this would most definitely be the wrong place for me to tell you where!

A.
By jacobtue
The reason why I'm asking about the indian made 500cc is because of the registration fee here in Denmark. For a bike to be classified as "veteran" (= almost no fee) it has to be more than 35 years old, and it's the frame number that counts. If I'm able to find an older frame from a 350, a 350 engine has to go with it. So to restore a 500 I have to find a frame from the very first year the Bullet 500 was introduced. Otherwise the bike will be classified as a classic and it will cost a small fortune to have registered. I think it's ok to have a converted 350 to 500 engine in the frame, but I'm not sure. Everything has to be done in India, as I want to ride it back home... regards Jacob
By stinkwheel
Another thing I'd say is not to get too hung up an the 350 vs 500cc thing. There isn't really a very big difference performance-wise between the two.

I keep wondering how a 350 with a longstroke crank conversion would compare in terms of performance with a standard 500...
By Adrian
If it's definitely a 35 year rule for the Veteran threshold under Danish rules things probably could start to go your way in another 3 or 4 years time! This gives you plenty of time to track one down out there and have it rebuilt in time for you to ride it home for its 35th birthday.

You will have a better idea of the details of the Danish rules, but if you find a complete original 1985 or older 350 with all its papers in order you can get it converted to 500 using the original crankcases you might be on a firmer footing.

I know that our hosts have brought complete bikes back from India, so they might well have some current contacts out there

A.
By jacobtue
Thanks for input. If I end up riding a 350 or a 500 back home only time will tell. The practical part of it is by far the easiest; it's the papar bit (incl. year of production) that is the challenge in our little project... regards Jacob

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles