This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By windmill john
This is pie in the day at the minute. Having read about some issues with fuel injection and electric starts, what are your feelings of newish Bullets?

I have a kickstart 4 speed which I’m keeping. I know it might be a hard question for this forum, but how do you feel fault level is compared to other marques? Do you have any qualms about buying a new Bullet? I need some owner feelings.
If situations change, I could consider an Interceptor or Himalayan.
I did test tide a Himalayan a while back. At the time I couldn’t accept the top speed, so went in a different direction.
I’ve changed.

Just to clarify, something would need to change for me to take the financial plunge, but I am thinking about it; tentatively.

John
By stinkwheel
Rode a UCE bullet and it was much easier to ride than a pre-unit effort. Still had quite a lot in common in terms of the overall layout and I'm pretty sure quite a few cycle parts. i could live with one but they are still hard work when it comes to motorway speeds in terms of comfort and you feel they aren't entirely happy.

From a close look at even the 535GT and Himalayan, there was a definate step-up in quality finish and fittings. A more brief tyre kick on the twins seems to show a big change in build quality .

I still don't think it's up to the standard of Jap bikes, a sit on and bounce and fiddle with the levers shows the lack of "polish" in the overall package. But there again, it's not anywhere near Jap money.

So where are they? I think they are still pretty unique as a bike, there isn't really much like them. They probably fit in between Chinese bikes and jap bikes in terms of cost, finish and overall reliability and still have some character, they aren't trying to be something else.

They're not what Hinkley is to Meridan. Not yet.

I think with a modern twin, you're pretty much getting what a 400 superdream was in the 80's. Just with more character. If I was ever in the market for a new bike, I'd certainly consider one. I'd probably spend a bit sorting out the suspension which seemed pretty shonky and clunky on the ones I've sat on.

From your point of view, I see some 535GTs going silly cheap with low mileage and they are a pretty polished package. Everything I've seen of them suggests they went the extra mile to make them a "special". Just look at the brakes and suspension. Performance-wise they blow the himalayan out of the water. Been out long enough for any issues to be known and for our hosts to have goodies for them if you want more poke.
By windmill john
Thanks Stinkwheel.

I was happy with quality when I took out the Himalayan. I was thinking more of reliability, which you mentioned.

I do all my own work, one reason why I stick to simpler bikes. I have a shed which I can fit in a smaller bike, but I’d hate to remove the exhaust system of a VFR750 by the side of my house!

My problem is (a mental problem!) I like big bikes as well. I’ve had four cylinders, V twins, all sorts, I just hate working on them sometimes. I remember having to remove 11 pieces of fairing just to get to something outside the engine!

I need to make a decision between power and ease of maintenance and reliability. The reason for mentioning a new Bulletis I like the look, the history and Gupta, my Bullet. Hey, I just like fiddling as well!

I’m on furlough and it’s confirmed to me I like fiddling with my bikes. The radio on, in the shed... ahhhh.
By stinkwheel
windmill john wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:11 pm
I’d hate to remove the exhaust system of a VFR750 by the side of my house!
Having done that twice now. I'd hate to remove the exhaust on a VFR750 on a bike lift in a fully equipped WSB honda pit with two trained technicians helping me.
By windmill john
I doff my cap sir...

When I was going to buy an early VFR750, mainly because of reputation and the gear driven cams, I was put off by maintenance stories. Mainly because obviously I was buying a 20 year old bike, at that time, not a five year old.
By Cat3625
My two penneth for what it's worth--
Bought a new 500 Es in 2008,using that as a base line for comparison my 2016 efi military is much better in terms of engine,quiet hydraulic tappets so no adjustments necessary,smooth 5 speed gearbox & disc brakes are so much better than drums.
Build quality seems so much better on the newer Bullets,the only problems I have heard of is the earth wire on the battery fracturing occasionally .
Moving on to the Interceptor bought mine in October '19 ,puts the biggest grin on my face every time I go out ,just does everything right.
The best value twin out there at the moment and I haven't heard of any common problems with them yet,although it's early days .
Only about £1k more than a Bullet on the road.
Himalayan is not my cup of tea so won't comment having never ridden one.
By windmill john
Thanks cat3625, I think that’s a good short description.

If I were to move forward, this would need to be a keeper. I’ve five to six years to go before retirement and want any bike I get, moving forward to be able to get to my shed for maintenance.

We used to go abroad each year and not sure if that will happen. If guaranteed, a bigger bike, if not..... not as much of an issue.
I still commute by bike and do get frustrated if someone is dawdling at 40-45 in a 60 zone if I’m on my Bullet. I have overtaken occasionally, but it does take time. And no, I don’t want to stay behind. I have my Transalp as well and just about got my CB500T road ready.
By PeteF
One thing that is definitely better is the quality of the electric wiring. Streets ahead of the old iron barrels.
By Rattlebattle
If you like tinkering with bikes, in my experience you should be fine with a UCE model. The engine on mine, at 6,500 miles from new, is in pieces in my garage. I am having to replace the timing side main bearing to address the chronic increase in vibration that has gradually built up since around 3,700, before which it was smooth. There are more well-known problems than just the ECU earth lead with these bikes, sadly. Timing-side main bearing is one, which is presumably why our host sells a superior replacement ( just ordered, together with several other smaller needle roller bearings, two of which are suspect and the rest I’m replacing because I don’t want to have to tear down the engine again). You’ll notice also that our host sells the Carberry vibration reduction plate. Why? Well, there is a pretty long overhang between the t/s main bearing and the end of the crank. On this sits the generator rotor. The Carberry simply adds an extra needle roller bearing to reduce the crankshaft whipping and hence the vibration.
What else? Exhaust valve heads have been known to become detached at sustained speed. The heads are welded on; mine has a horrible bulge and, frankly I don’t trust it. So, another improved part from our host: an English one piece exhaust valve with a better shape.
The threads in the drain plugs strip all too easily. This is partly the fault of whoever serviced the bike, but I’d definitely do it myself as I wouldn’t trust some of the new wave dealers, not least the one I bought mine from- now defunct. I’d be very wary of buying used too because it’s all too easy to bodge an invisible repair.
If you have a healthy iron barrel version I can’t see why you’d want a UCE model. They’re not really any quicker on the motorway and get a bit flighty at speed.
The Euro IV models are probably the best in terms of quality control, but they are harder to tune, with more emissions control stuff to remove/ put up with. The rear disc brake is a definite improvement on the drum brake, which has been known to shear and wreck the swinging arm.
In quality control I would rate the current models in order of preference: 1. The new twins, by far the best. 2. The Himalayan ( but only the Euro IV versión, the early carb ones sold in India were awful, which is why there was such a delay in bringing the export one we get to market. 3. The Euro IV UCE models - made on a modern production line, not hand-assembled like the earlier ones 4. The CGT 535. 5. The post 2014 C5 variants - these have a much better tank mounting which doesn’t split. 6. The post 2010 ones that have a kickstart as well as an electric start. They also have the so-called straight forks ie not leading axle. On the C5 the l axing axle forks could cause a nasty weave at speed. They’re also much more of a phaff on which to change the fork oil.
Me, I’m waiting for the more powerful Himalayan....

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles