This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
Cleaned the 350. The look of the rusty, tatty centre stand lets it down.....next job!

Ordered a 42 tooth rear sprocket to get the bike back to road ratios, or as close as makes no difference. Also asked for a set of rear hub cush rubbers and some “Bullet Electra” decals in gold, to replace the ones now missing from the side panels.
By Daiwiskers
Put both bike's back together, then decided to put new fork gaiters on asbo 30 blocked Harley in garage with asbo 30 put it on stands dropped the forks stripped and rebuilt them decided to leave them off so I'm not tempted to go out
This morning refitted steps up to garage

Decided that I had to let my assistant go he's been a good mate but not looking well lately

Pic of assistant
IMG_20200420_220701.jpg
By RoSy
windmill John, you say "the normal loonies" what about the unnormal knob heads whizzing around in their crapped out uninsured piles of junk breaking every rule in the book, thats the ones to look out for.
By Wheaters
Yesterday, having been ashamed of the rusty centre stand, as per my previous post, I decided to take it off the bike. I then grit blasted it and then etch primed it and it’s been drying overnight.

It will get a fresh coat of black paint today.

Having really struggled to remove the two springs from the stand, both yesterday and previously when I changed the gearbox, I will probably struggle to get them back on without ruining the new paint.

Does anyone have a straightforward way of replacing them? Last time I tried the old trick of putting washers between the coils of the spring but that still didn’t give enough stretch to get them on.
By windmill john
RoSy, I thought my expression was a polite version of bloody idiots in general :D

Wheaters, this is what I use for general main stand, brake springs etc.
Don’t know if it would suit your job.
Attachments
AAEB3E6E-931E-4F2B-9ACA-0D8A434453F9.jpeg
By ed.lazda
Getting springs on: attach each end to an appropriately strong part of something hydraulic – I used a trolley jack. Jack just enough so the coils separate and you can get a load of thick washers or coins between them. Detach, place on bike, remove washers.
By Wheaters
I might have to buy a pulling hook, but it's one of those things you wish you'd bought last week, do the job some other difficult way then forget all about it! Guess who didn't order one from Mr Hitchcocks yesterday, along with the other stuff I ordered..... :oops:

Ed, thanks but as I wrote, I have already tried that method with the washers without success. ;)
By Daiwiskers
I use some heavy wire sort of thing you would use for main power or earth leads

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles