This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Andy C
Dai.

Bullseye with the Kawasaki 305.

The bike is a GPZ305 fitted with a Kawasaki 350 Triple motor.

I could not resist buying it even though it needs a LOT of work - just about a total strip down / rebuild / tidy.

Assuming that I avoid or survive the virus it should keep me occupied for some time.

I'll post a picture up of it as bought.
By Daiwiskers
That's going to be interesting
The 305 was a sweet little bike the big issue was the soft cams running directly in the head, a local engineering firm used to line ream and machine them to take shell bearings for me

The 350 tripple was pretty good, fussy with plugs but I can't think of any weaknesses with the motor

The oil tank position could be a problem I don't remember the 305 having much space under the side panels, there again your not going to need a big battery so you may be ok
Quick edit you could always run pre mix

Great project and I for one would be interested to see the build

Thanks Dai
By Andy C
You are right about the 350 Triple - they have a good reputation, also about the issues with the 305.

Oil tank is probably going in front of that battery - not really decided yet, that is where it was provisionally positioned, I need also to consider access / visibility for the oil level.

Planning to go for a small battery so might be ample room to sit alongside battery.

All in bits at the moment - as I say I'll post up a pic later today.
By Daiwiskers
Must have done 4 or 5 of the 305/250s it was amazing how much swarf would build up and they still ran
Never had one come back after fitting shells
The tripple's engine wise were just about bomb proof
By stinkwheel
Mrs stinkwheel blew up three GPz305s.

Every one of them a heat-seizure due to excessive thrashing. One time I got a phone call to say "A bit of metal fell off my bike and now it won't start" . Turns out the bit of metal was a lump of crankcase the conrod had punched out as it was making its exit.

I think their main design fault is a TINY little oil pickup combined with plastic oil pump drive sprockets. So if the pickup blocks, it loads the pump then strips the sprocket. That said, it's not what happened on any of the wifes ones, they were just too fragile. They bored them out too much trying to compete with the superdream. The 250 skorpion was fairly reliable.

Did the decent thing and got her a CB500 instead. Blow that up if you can.

They were a sweet handling little bike though, just the engine that let them down. I bet it will be a right hoot with an S2 lump in there! You going to paint it to look like a 305 or a 350? I could imagine it looking good in that candy white with green stripes colour scheme.

You going for belt drive?

Was it the UMG magazine that described the GPz305 as "A hand grenade looking for a war."?
By Daiwiskers
Oh sweet memories
UBG I even wrote TP a poem once
Never got published !

Local bike shop used to send people to me with bike's they didn't want to work on
By Andy C
Glad I never had a GPZ305 then - did have a Z750 Twin for a while, not as good as a T140 IMHO.

The original builder converted it to chain drive, and the plan is to leave it with the 305 colour scheme including the "Belt Drive" logo which I might strike through for a laugh.

If it leave it with the standard colour scheme I can always tell people it was a rare prototype :mrgreen:
By Andy C
Here it is, as delivered by the Vendor.

It has now been de constructed into large bits !!
Attachments
Kawa.JPG
By Daiwiskers
That looks good

Be careful with the petrol tank they used to rot out at the lowest point not noticeable when on the bike but easily seen from underneath

Good luck with it Dai
By stinkwheel
I bet that does fantastic wheelies! One thing I remember about my Dads old S2 is the frame and swingarm had all the ridgidity of a plate of spaghetti. It used to corner like a clowns bicycle. Didn't stop you grinding the bottom exhaust though.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles