This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Daiwiskers
In isolation so bored please forgive me

Let the how to begin

Let's change the spark plugs on a Hyundai i10

Firstly let's check we have the correct plugs

Yep all good

Let's sort out the tools

16mm plug socket 3/8 ratchet 10" wobble extension

What do you mean you can't get to number one plug? Oh OK you need a 3"wobble extension as well, oh you're close to the slam panel never mind let's begin

Oh that number one plug is tight let's go back indoors through the house up half a mountain that passes as my back yard up-to the garage, dig out the extra long 3/8 ratchet.

Back down mountain through house out to the car and the 3/8 extra long ratchet is starts to flex

Not wanting to snap the plug I decide to take off the air filter housing so I can get a solid extension in, back through the house up the mountain to garage get solid extension

By this time I an knackered

Out to the car again that plug don't want to move !

Back through house up to garage again did out rattle gun impact extension and plug socket back out to car

Two minutes later the plug is out new plug gasped and in after checking the thread Hyundai use some good aluminum in their engines

One down three to go

Plug number two was loose!? check thread all good gap new plug and fit

Number one plug must have been a one off right? oh no number three was also over tightened! but not as tight as number one it just needed the extra long ratchet new plug gapped and fitted

Time for number four, well it came out easily infact it was only just about hand tight time to check those threads again once again the threads were great! So new plug gapped and fitted.

Replace the air filter housing and your done

Climb into car start engine whoo hooo missfire gone

Put all tools in big bag go back through the house up the mountain to the garage put tools away back down to the house look at clock realise changing the plugs on a Hyundai i10 takes nearly two hours

Too top it all off my road was doing a great job of imitating a Arctic wind tunnel

That was my 10 minute job yesterday

The most annoying thing is that the car belongs to Mrs Wiskers and had been serviced at a garage that I recomended
( it used to be serviced at a local garage that I used to help out at before it went out of business)
The garage that serviced the car has been my go to for tyres, exhaust, batteries and MOT'S for over 35 years, and yes they know mrs Wiskers

That took nearly as long to write as it took to change those plugs

Oh well Dai
Too late to edit again

The reason for the missfire

Number three plug boot was not pressed down all the way!
There were tracking marks running down the insulator

At least it's now sorted
Mrs Wiskers went to work this morning (NHS) and hasn't called to say otherwise

Happy days Dai
Very simple things that I've made easier for myself.
Not quite sure if this is what was intended by the title. Anyway, here goes:

Took me ages to get the headlight back into place without it pushing slightly away from the casquette. It felt like there was too much wire in there. It turned out one of the little wire springs that hold the unit in was the problem. One of them was being pushed out by the pressings in the casquette near the bottom. Just moved the spring round a bit and all felt really good.

It's easy to remove the points and condenser, as long as you don't let the spring effect ping parts across the floor. But I didn't have enough hands to put it back together. This u-shaped bit of coat-hanger wire held it all in place just enough to get the nut back on.

The clutch cable now has a simpler route from clutch lever to where it goes inside. =1= It's not as many bends as its original route under the tank. =2= Next time it breaks ;) it'll be easier to put back at the roadside. =3= It looks a bit floppy at first but in fact doesn't get in the way and the clutch feels lighter
Attachments
Headlight springs.JPG
U shape points holder.JPG
Clutch cable routing.JPG
It doesn't touch the engine, its curve being appropriate etc.

But good to point it out on here as everyone's bike is different.... even from new.... your experience is AT SPEED, for example. Mine doesn't do that.... haha.

Thanks, Chris
The good news Mrs Wiskers has just got home very happy with her car "it's smoother and the door works better" I did lube all the hinges and locks

Happy Mrs = happy me

Now to really make me really happy give all NHS staff proper PPE

Look after yourselves Dai

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles