This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By rattonshaw
stinkwheel wrote:Long story short, I'd stick with the forks and internals you have.
That seems like a good idea from what you've described. I might look at progressive springs when the Electra is mobile again; I'm currently making brackets for trials footrests and fabricating a gear change to suit.

If the clamp at the bottom of the right leg decides to break off, I might look into fitting some inline forks. The steering stem, part number 801275, appears to be fitted across the EFI model range; any differences in parts numbers seem to be for different colour options. The inline forks should quicken the steering. However, from what I've managed to glean from various sources, the suspension travel on the inline forks is 110 mm, compared to 130 mm on the leading axle forks. For an off-road application, I'll want as much travel as I can get.
By stinkwheel
I did some research on how they did the rear brake and gear change "back in the day" to see how I'd do mine.

It turns out, they did pretty much nothing with the gearshift, just reached forwards for it. Apparently some folks moved it up a couple of splines so it was less likely to get bent when they dropped the bike and they'd be able to reach forwards and catch it with their heel if they were mid section and up on the pegs.

Found a picture of a works bike. This is HNP 331, THE trials Bullet.
By rattonshaw
Leaving the gear lever that far from the footrest is not something I like; I prefer to keep my feet on the pegs when changing gear, especially if you’re stood up on the pegs. On the pre-unit engines with the right shift, there’s a lot of clutter in the way to move the gear lever closer to the footrest so I can see why they didn’t bother.

I’ve moved the gear lever closer to the footrest on another project involving a GS500 engine. The linkage in the photo is ‘upside-down’ because the gear shaft on the GS500 rotates clockwise for first gear and so on. Anyway, you get the general idea, which is what I’m doing on the Electra and fabricating a folding gear lever.
Attachments
DSC07275.JPG
DSC07275.JPG (181.83 KiB) Viewed 1605 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles