This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Count Johnny
Dai: Thank you. Slo Poke's not an every dayer, but gets properly used - and was built, and is used - to run around Europe.

Forks: Although they, twice, reached their extent (on significant potholes today) this wasn't unsettling. In general, with my 45 degree rake angle, I think they work better than the telescopics.
By Wheaters
Has the headstock of the frame been braced at all? That amount of extra rake and length will considerably increase the stresses on the front end of the frame.
Wheaters wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:27 am
Has the headstock of the frame been braced at all? That amount of extra rake and length will considerably increase the stresses on the front end of the frame.
Wheaters, I think I can provide an answer here, in that prior to the fitment of the current forks, I have ridden this 612cc machine pretty much flat out and it didn't break in half, although the same couldn't be said of the 8 small bolts holding the [then] detachable rear sprocket in place! Handling is fine, although clearance under the footrests is rather lacking. See 10 mins and onwards for the faster stuff in this clip ...
https://youtu.be/Fm-Nmpz18fI
Last edited by Bullet Whisperer on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Count Johnny
Wheaters wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:27 am
Hi Wheaters

The frame was built for me, by Nottingham Custom Cycles, around 20 years ago and the headstock (a Harley neck) is braced - but no more so, I'd say, than a standard Enfield (although the entire frame is TIG welded to a very high standard).

In spite of appearances , the forks are stock length.

Also, in spite of appearances, Slo Poke has done some proper miles over the years (Munich to Biarritz, in 4 days, for example) on roads of all stripes, and the frame is as tough as old boots.

Cheers

C 'Johnny' S
By Count Johnny
Allanfox wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 am
Love it, do you have a picture of the other side, wondering what the Mag looks like?
Hi Allanfox

I can't find one, but I'll try to remember to take a quick snap when I get home.

C 'Johnny' S
By Adrian
The magneto is BTH's FM1R magneto, it uses CDI technology (no mechanical advance and retard needed). My Not A Fury and AVL hybrid use them.

These are flange-mounted but not a direct fit on the Bullet crankcase, a bit of work is needed to adapt them as the flange on these matches the Lucas K1F and K2F (or old BTH KC1 and KC2) rather than the Lucas SR1 or the distributor drive which replaced it.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles