This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By MattyJ
While out riding the other day I came across another party of riders, one of which was on a very old Redditch Royal Enfield 500 Model J2 in trials trim, I was quite taken by the bike which had a rigid frame. I was pondering how much that type of bike would sell for in today’s classic bike market and if they ever come up for sale, I should imagine they are quite expensive and would be quite thin on the ground. So I was wondering if I could replicate the rigid trials bike look with a modern era Enfield donor bike and modern trials parts.
By MattyJ
Thanks Rushour; just did a search for 'rigid' on the Hitchcocks website and spotted the rigid kit which looks awesome. In fact there’s a used 350 Bullet frame with V5, which has already had the rigid rear end conversion. Looks like a great base for a 1930-40s style project. :D
By Adrian
If you're than keen on an ORIGINAL rigid RE frame there's one with log book on fleabay UK, item no, 402095420339 - probably ex WDCO as it claims to be from 1944.

A.
By MattyJ
Hi Enfield Trials
I not sure if the bike was a factory created trials bike, the mudguards and rims didn’t look original, but I am sure it was a J2 because the oil filler was at the front of the engine. Forgotten to take my phone out with me so no pictures I’m afraid.
By MattyJ
Hi Adrian
The eBay frame looks like a good find! Supposing it is WDCO all the purest brigade would want it restored correctly as a military bike.
By Adrian
The same seller is also listing an Electra-X engine and gearbox, I suspect an abandoned inter-factory bitsa project. Somebody did once build a bitsa like this and dress it up as a WW2 military sidecar outfit.

A.
By trophyvase
Mattj is it just for the look you'er thinking of changing to the rigid end? I once followed a bike with the Hitchcock's mod for over 300 miles! It held the road amazingly well. It had to given the pace the rider was travelling!!! :roll:
By MattyJ
I do really like the look of a rigid bike and people have said the loss of shockers can make the bike feel more agile, of course square edge pot holes should be avoided at all costs.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles