This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By PeteF
I have a small air compressor supplier by Axminster tools; cheap Chinese thing but it does the job.
Recently it stopped compressing so I stripped it down and found the little reed valve on the outlet of the compressor cylinder had rusted through (why wasn't it stainless?)
Axminster can't supply this simple little part (though they'd be happy to sell me a new compressor I suppose)
Fortunately the Chinese realise the importance of mending things and I have one coming from there as well as the necessary gaskets which saves me the bind of having to make them.
Incidently, Axminster can't supply spares bags for the dust collector they sold me either and it's only 28 years old!
By PeteF
Well I wouldn't call it inferior BW. For the number of times it gets used it's fine and has lasted 15 years before this problem.
If I had to buy a "proper" compressor I wouldn't have one.
Same as my lathe; I wouldn't shell out for a Myford (or the like) but my cheap Chinese one gets lots done and is pretty good if you accept it's limitations.
Presto wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:40 am
Do you mean ALL suppliers to keep ALL spares for ALL items they have sold over the last at least 15 years??!!

Ooh.... where do I start :D

I imagine for vehicle makers, space could be an issue. I might be going off track, but for manufacturers of small items.. then why not.

How about any parts made of plastic should be kept for 15 years plus...

Have you ever taken a fairing off a bike to find broken mounts and fittings.
Have you ever opened up a radio to find you break many clips/mounts etc....

Of course, constant sales and need to ‘improve’ means we’ll never make things to last.
I’m not Saying everything has built in obsolescence, but electronics will always break down over time due to heating/cooling and other factors.

Ooer.... I’ve gone off on one ;)
By Presto
It's one thing for manufactures maybe to keep parts for all their products - quite another for every supplier to do the same.

As to why the reed valve wasn't stainless - because this product was 'cheap Chinese' I guess.

Cake and eating?!...
I'll tell you why. The supplier will buy from a wholesaler who inturn buys from an importer, non of whom buy spares, only complete units, and are prepared for a bit of criticism from a user fifteen years later, because in general nobody really cares. I know this because I used to sell this kind of stuff. Being responsible, I used to keep some units back to strip for spares in order to keep customers happy. I spoke to a guy who worked for the company who first imported DNEPR into the UK, they worked in the same business model. In a similar scenario, if I went into my local Ford dealer and asked for a radiator top hose for a fifteen year old Mondeo, they'd laugh. Welcome to the real world. :cry:
By PeteF
All good points chaps BUT this reed valve is almost a service item. It's probably the bit that's going to fail first and should be available. If the motor (say) had failed I would accept the thing was past it's use-by date.
Anyway, I have one coming from China (well, 5 actually so that should see me out :D )

ChrisD, I thought of that but it's the wrong shape. Buying shim stock is quite expensive for the tiny bit I would need as well.

Just by contrast I needed a new deck for a Honda lawnmower last year (that was about 15 years old as well)
No problem said Honda and supplied one off the shelf. I suppose the differance is that you pay for the service up front in the purchase price of "proper" equipment.
It's just a shame that stuff that could so easily be mended often ends up in the recycling (or worse)
PeteF wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:09 am
Just by contrast I needed a new deck for a Honda lawnmower last year (that was about 15 years old as well)
No problem said Honda and supplied one off the shelf.

That's different. If Honda didn't have the part, you'd have grassed them up....

I'll get my coat....... :roll:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles