This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By windmill john
So, there I was on Gupta yesterday going to work in the pouring rain. Got home and rain falling faster than I can wipe him down, so left uncovered overnight.

Told off by my wife for leaving him uncovered. She's right, I'm feeling bad, so as still wet through today, used him to come to work today too rather than my Transalp.

Now whilst it would be nice to keep him just for sunny days, I ride all year round. What can you do!? That's rhetorical by the way :)

I know some people keep certain bikes for bad weather, but I don't think any bike should be treated less than another.

Of course if I were rich, had a garage, he'd be pampered :mrgreen: He's still pampered.... but used.

One night left out and rust blemishes on silencer. Ahh well, more ACF to be applied.
Attachments
guptaaviary.png
By Andy C
I tend to ride all winds / weathers if I fanncy a ride out.

Long gone are the days when my bike was my only mode of transport.

As you say they should all be treated with the same level of respect.

My "all weather" bike is the Himalayan, that is what I bought it for, to replace my old "all weather" MZ.

I dont tend to take out my other bikes in the bad weather - both the 612 and Kawa H2 Triple are strictly fair weather bikes unless it happens to rain if I am out on them, but they definately do not go out if there is any frost / salt on the roads - anyway both are having their winter fettle at the moment.
By Duke of Wybourne.
I was wondering about this at the weekend. I don't have an option, one bike, and nothing else. I've been suffering from SMS, (shiny bike syndrome), but the doctor says I'm much better now. I used to run my Bullet in all weather, with lashings of road salt in the winter, a good blast with the hose kept things fine, and once the rims got a bit ugly, Halfords satin black stone chip covers a multitude of sins, and actually doesn't look too bad either. It will be interesting to see how durable the Himalayan is after a winter's use.
By stinkwheel
If it's for an everyday rider. keeping a pump-up plant sprayer full of that F365 corrosion inhibitor and just spraying everything down when you get home may be a good option. Having an easily reachable and ready to go cold water hose with a spray attachment on to get the worst of the salt off is also handy.

The important thing is that it has to be easy to do, otherwise you wont do it.
By Andy C
windmill john wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:51 pm
You could swap a house for a triple now!

I passed my test on a 250 triple in 1980.
Snap - I also passed my test on a 250 Triple a couple of years before you, I got back to riding Kawa Triples about 5 or 6 years ago now, I was lucky with the H2 as I bought it as a neglected non runner which was reflected in the price.

Stinkwheel - is right that anything that you apply to keep the corrosion at bay must be easy to use.

Back in the 80's I when I still had to ride all winds / weathers I used to apply a coat of grease to the shiney bits of my bikes and never wash it over the winter after which time it would look a right mess, used to Gunk it off in the spring and the bike would look pretty good.

The Himalayan is treated to a regular wash whenever it goes out in the wet / gloom - and if it looks there is salt around I try and wash it off as soon as I get home.
By windmill john
I’m pleased to say that I was using ACF50 before most had heard of it. Saw an ad about its use in the airforce and went from there. That was way before it was mentioned in any bike press.

Anyway, Gupta is liberally coated in it.

I last washed Bumble, my Transalp a month or so ago. Following that wash, a ride to dry stuff, then, a coat of ACF. As Andy says, no wash for the Winter.

I know a lot of riders wash after every ride, but as my bikes live outside, I don’t want to cover them wet, or spend the time drying them to then cover.

I’m sure the right thing to do is wash, dry, lube, but cannot (read, don’t) want to do that each day.

Oh Andy, I’ve wasted so much money in the past changing bikes, I could have had four triples! Not a boast, just a sign of my stupidity.
By Andy C
John.

"Oh Andy, I’ve wasted so much money in the past changing bikes, I could have had four triples! Not a boast, just a sign of my stupidity."

Think we may all be guilty of that one in varying degrees...........

I keep telling myself that on balance I have probably not lost a lot on bikes............
By Trev
I actually bought my chrome tank 2008 efi specifically to use when I didn't want my other bikes to get wet and cr*ppy as I hate cleaning bikes. It had only done 2k miles when I got it but had been kept outside near the sea so was already showing signs of rust and neglect so seemed a perfect Winter bike. Having said that I do ride it all year round as it's the perfect 'potter bike' when I don't have much time for a ride and my wife loves riding pillion on the thing. The chrome still polishes up ok and it gets more comments than any of the much more expensive bikes I have the use of.
It's probably the worst bike I own (apart from the 1971 step thru) but also the best one, I love it ;)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles