This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
I acquired this bike, (1998 500 Deluxe), in June, This is how things have panned out.
enfield 1.jpg
This is what she looked like then.
Since then, this is what needed altering mechanically and electrically.
Rear light/no. plate bracket mounting welded up.
Rear lamp replaced.
The wiring got tidied up a bit.
A proper ignition switch fitted.
Ignition points backplate assy. fitted.
A lot of fiddling with the timing and carb settings, etc. carried out to make her run right.
The front TLS brake needed stripping and putting back together again properly, new wheel bearings fitted at the same time.
Front brake cable replaced.
Front brake light switch fitted, (she didn't have one).
While all this was going on, I worked on the overall look of her. This is the Marmite moment, Personally, I love chrome, so I added a bit, (lot), my work colleague recons she should be in a bad taste museum, (he has a hand painted, Chinese 125, he calls it a rat bike, I call it nearly scrap).
The chrome additions are.
Chain guard.
Rear brake back plate, I changed the bearings while it was stripped.
Rear brake rod.
Three rear grab handles.
Battery box, a modified 8v version.
Air cleaner box, oval unknown type.
Tool boxes.
Fork shrouds.
Crown plate.
Many fasteners replaced with either chrome or stainless.
I'm still looking to swap painted for chrome parts. During winter, I will change the wiring loom, it is a bit of a lash up and going a bit crispy in places.
I could not get on with the sprung saddle, so replaced it with a custom dual seat, (very comfy).
I dropped on a very rusty Velocette Venom silencer, cleaned it up, and fitted it to see what it sounded like, (wonderful).
This is the result.
IMG_20191124_121602.jpg

IMG_20191124_121001.jpg
All in all, I am very pleased with her, she has broken down twice, first time, the points had got wet and the bakelite lever gripped onto its pivot, preventing them closing. the second time, the low tension wire had broken inside the insulation.
She is a bit of a head turner, and weirdo magnet,- old blokes telling me either it is a replica! or a very rare model fitted with that exhaust!
She just makes me smile every time I go out on her.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles