This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Adrian
Smugness OK, I wish I could join you. The M27 is in the process of being converted to a so-called Smart Motorway which means that for the last year and probably well into 2021 we've had and will have a blanket 50mph speed limit on most of it while they're carrying out all the road works for a scheme which looks like it is now being discredited. Glad I don't have to commute on it.

As for the electronics, my pending Bullet project is getting a magneto, a genuine old BT-H which is presently away for overhaul. So far my modern CDI type BT-H mags haven't let me down, but this will be the real thing with manual advance and retard too.

A.
By Presto
Maybe a silly comment.

But I'm wondering what might happen in such a ‘failure situation’ in heavy traffic, as Bullet Whisper experienced, in a ‘driver-less’ car on a ‘smart motorway’ – and what a stupid misnomer that is!!!
By Bullet Whisperer
Driver-less cars ... I don't suppose for one minute we will be able to stop off for a few pints anywhere and be able to continue to travel in such a vehicle legally ...
By Presto
I guess an answer to my question is that in such a situation the driver takes manual control. Which raises another point – if the driver is trusted to take control in this taxing and dangerous situation what’s the point of a driver-less car at all?!

Could it be that the rationale for driver-less cars is merely to force us to change – to purchase a replacement vehicle. Which I’m prepared to believe is the true impetus behind the idea of a universal switch to electric cars! More sales for the car salesperson!

But might this be heresy??
By windmill john
Adrian wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:18 am
The M27 is in the process of being converted to a so-called Smart Motorway which means that for the last year and probably well into 2021 we've had and will have a blanket 50mph speed limit on most of it

A.
If I were a positive thinker working for Hampshire council, my published response would be, "We have ensured that the maximum speed limit is suitable for all Bullet owners...."
By Adrian
This would be the Highways Agency rather any County Council, it's a national thing.

Driver-less cars, don't get me started.

A.
By Wheaters
Judging by the poor driving standards on the M1, some vehicles are already little more than driverless as it is...!
By ericpode
Never mind about driverless cars. What about the riderless bikes that are coming! :o
By Boxerman
Yup! sarcasm at its best!
I have actually seen a video of a riderless BMW motorcycle and could only think 'WHY?'

Frank

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles