This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By black fingernail
Wheaters wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:42 am
It might be an issue with the cush drive rubbers in the hub
No, it was clanking before I changed the rubbers.
I stripped the rear wheel, changed the bearings in the hub and the drum, changed the cush rubbers, checked the bolts for the cam mounting, checked the nut on the post. I lubricated everything with a dab of copper grease, assembled all carefully, nothing leaning or rubbing on anything else, AND IT'S STILL DOING IT!!!
Hopefully I'll pull it apart this afternoon again and get to the bottom of it.
By black fingernail
PeteF wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:16 am
"Since fitting a nice shiny chrome back plate,"
That's will likely be the problem as that's what you changed. Just cos it's new doesn't mean it's OK. Especially with indian manufacturing. I'm guessing the bore of the back plate is binding on the spindle then releasing under spring tension and the clank is from the back plate. Could be the bore isn't perpendicular to the back plate causing the cam to bind?
Good thinking, but, it was just the tin back plate that was changed, the complete innards are original, including the spindle bush.
I omitted to say, the noise did not start immediately, it manifested itself some 100 miles or so afterwards.
I am developing a twitch!!
By black fingernail
I have decided, MY BIKE IS HAUNTED!
I pulled her out of the garage to start on the forensic examination and put to rest the clank. SILENCE! I rode her around the block a bit, MORE SILENCE!
She actually clanked as I stopped in the garage yesterday evening.
Ah well I gave her a wipe over and put her away again, lets see what happens tomorrow on the way to work.
I have a large axe waiting, twitch, twitch!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles