This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By stinkwheel
Just at the "shooting at the breeze" stage at the moment but like Wheaters, I fancy doing some light reliability trials work with my 350 bullet.

It's in the process of being rebuilt following an engine failure and the frame is currently at the shotblasters so now would be a good time to do any mods if they need doing.

I've been looking at "proper" trials machines and most of them seem to have footpegs welded to the frame just behind the gearbox. Like this:

Now it occurrs to me that if I were to flip and switch the pillion peg mounts, I could achieve a very similar peg position, with folding pegs, without any major alterations or engineering. They could also be folded up out of the way, this would in fact allow the standard, ridgid pegs to be left in place for normal road use and removed for an event.

I did a quick mockup of what I'm talking about on my 612 bullet (it could go both higher or lower from there).

I suppose the question there is how secure will they be. Are they going to rotate if one were to be standing up on them a lot, will the taper fit get a good enough hold? Maybe someone else has tried this already because it seem such a simple idea if it'll work? *

The other question is about foot controls. It seems that most leave the gearshift in a roughly standard position, maybe moved up out of the way a little and pick a gear to do the stage in. But what about the brake? I found the following picture and it looks like they've moved the brake arm 180 degrees and bent a pull-rod round the outside of the shock but what about that lever? Is that something you can buy? A homebrewed effort? A bastardised standard lever?

It occurrs to me that I could potentially make a pivot point to fit where the stud for the lower rear subframe attaches then fabricate a shorty brake lever (cut down a standard one?) to attach to it. Maybe there is a "known" way of doing this kind of thing?

I'm also going to beef-up the saddle mounting point on the top tube but this should just be a case of welding a heavier bit of mild steel channel on top.

Comments/ridicule welcome.

*People used to do something similar on their 125s when I was younger as "poor mans rearsets" . Using the pillion pegs as the main ones and flipping the gear lever to face backwards giving racing shift into the bargain.
By Wheaters
Someone else suggested flipping the rear footrests. I looked at that but decided it was a bit too extreme for the Classic Trialling stuff I need to do, which is mainly on roads.

So I just fitted Mr H's folding footrests which fit in the standard position. TBH, I find them far from ideal and needed some minor welding of the heel of the folding part to restrict their forward travel and rectify "droop", which made me feel that my feet were going to slip off them, also they made my ankles hurt!

If I wanted to be more serious about "proper" off road section trialling in the long term I would find another way, probably by welding on some serrated trials footrests, as you suggested. The ideal might be to retain my present folding ones, weld on extra ones and modify (i.e. double up) the brake and gear levers so they can be reached with feet in both positions. Then use the standard controls for on-road, with the extra footrests folded out of the way and swap over to use the rear set for off-road stuff.

I'm still trying to make my sump guard fit the bike; every time I took the bike out of the garage today the heavens opened :(
By Wheaters
One other thing I'd like to do is to fit a "straight up" kickstart lever, rather than the "double cranked" original. Since I took off the right side toolbox and fitted the high level exhaust system I could do with getting my right leg a bit closer in but the present lever prevents that. The inside of my boot hits it, which is also why the neutral lever is now wearing a hole in the the part covering my inner calf.

I thought I'd actually bought one, sent all the way from India at quite a good price. When I took it out of the plastic packing, it was another standard cranked one! That will teach me, if anyone wants one for a restoration project, I now have two! :roll:
By stinkwheel
That's really helpful. Thanks.

Looks like the pillion mounts will put the pegs in the correct position, just a case of if they will take the weight (in fairness, it took quite a bit of hammering and some heat to get them off in the first place). There's one sure way to find out anyway, stick them in the frame and have a bounce on them.
By John-M
The images you have posted show the brake and foot pegs on a Crusader framed Bullet and are not relevant to the Indian frames.
I don't think that your pillion peg idea will work as they are probably too far back and I suspect likely to fail if you ride standing up.
When I have seen period photos of early 50's Bullet trials bikes, which I suspect are more relevant to the Indian frame, the pegs on these are usually mounted just at the rear of the gear box, presumably through the plates beneath the gearbox and the brake lever looks to be a shortened version of the standard pedal. They are only about 4-5" further back, but I suspect that is far enough to make riding standing up comfortable.
I have a trials style bullet that I want to make more green-lane / off road capable and I am thinking of mounting the standard pegs in this position, and adding extra brackets to prevent them rotating.
HNP331 in the National Motorcycle Museum uses the post 1956 frame, but the area where the pegs mount is very similar to the Indian frame and could be a good starting point.
https://www.flickriver.com/photos/gordo ... 687356319/

By stinkwheel
Interesting. It actually looks like the pegs on that are mounted in a very similar way to the samrat sidestands with a plate running between the standard footrest bar to the rear frame mount that the gearbox sits on top of. Then they've used a longer bolt in that rear mounting to go through the footpeg and the plate.

That would be very easy to fabricate using a bit of plate and a set of standard pegs (assunimg one can weld the material standard pegs are made from and it doesn't just disappear into a pile of slag). However they are still ridgid footpegs, I think folding ones would be nice!

All grist to the mill though, a "bolt on" solution would be nice... Probably marketable too.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles