This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Presto
Just for the fun of it!

I don’t go along with the popular idea that MZ materials were substandard; certainly not so far as the pre-1990 bikes were concerned. The materials and build-quality were very good – and excellent in the case of the ES250. Although MZ and Jawa (and CZ) came ‘from the east’, that’s where all similarity ends – MZ being far superior to the other two marques.

But – as you maybe can tell – I’m biased!
By stinkwheel
The main bearings weren't really up to scratch. Nor the OEM brake pads. Both have a habit of separating into their component parts.

The alloy and tinwork on all those Eastern European bikes was excellent quality though. Better than anything the Japanese come out with. They simply hadn't perfected the art of adulterating the aluminium and depositing microns thin layers of chrome. It was all done the old fashioned way. The bare alloy wheel rims on the old ES and TS models are excellent and seemingly totally resistant to corrosion.

I had a Minsk 125 as my first bike. It wasn't painted, it was stove enamelled. The engine and cycle parts were a good standard. The fittings holding it all together were made of cheese. Wish I still had it.
By Cov Lad
I learned to ride through the back entries on a collectively owned MZ - probably considered a classic now. My bullet fuse holders were rubbish, allowed water in and not and tight fit. Spade fuses are a lot easier to carry as a spare item.

I also remember seeing Russian sidecar combination sets for sale in Siberian supermarkets, I wish I bought one and rode it home.
By black fingernail
At work we have a few Samuk forklifts, they are Chinese, to be fair, they aren't all that bad once various mods are made to make the brakes work properly!
These have glass fuses, so, a box of glass fuses was obtained to keep in the workshop. when a fuse failed and was replaced, within a week an electrical fault occurred exactly like a fuse blowing, but the fuse is intact, upon testing the fuse, it is hit and miss.
careful examination of the fuse showed the wire just bent over the glass tube and the end caps just pushed on, trapping the wire, not too tightly. The box of fuses was consigned to the bin!
If you must use glass fuses, make sure the caps are soldered on, you can see a little smear of solder on each end.
Much better still, convert to blade fuses.
By Andy C
IMHO the issue with the MZ fuses was thay they were pretty open to the elements - the "cover" was pretty poor.

I fitted a sealed blade fuse box to mine and it fixed the electrical problems at a stroke.

General quality of MZ stuff was pretty good in my opinion. Starting to regret getting rid of it....... :lol:
By Wheaters
Hmm.. This week an acquaintance who needs to downsize his bike collection has offered me a choice of one of his two MZ TS250s for a very nice price. Problem is, the garage has no more space, even for a small bike.....

But I could put it in his next door neighbour's garage for a while.... he lives next door to my mother-in-law. Very handy.
By Adrian
Problem is, the garage has no more space, even for a small bike.....
Ah, these first-world problems! I feel your pain. ;)

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles