This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By knapdog
I always leave my Classic 500 in Neutral and place it on the centre stand once in the garage.
Once cold ( eg next morning) I'll start her up in Neutral but once I pull in the clutch and engage first gear the bike clunks or surges forward.
It doesn't stall and I always fully pull in the clutch. The biting point is around half way.
This does not happen on a second start up even if only ten seconds or so later.
Is this one of the vagaries of owning an Enfield or is there a problem?
Clutch plates sticking together and freeing off again. Happens on other bikes too to varying degrees and is usually worse the longer they sit. Most just have a slight "snatch" as you engage the gear. My GPZ500 would stall the engine when you put it in first if it hadn't been run for a couple of weeks.

If it's causing an issue, like you feel like it's going to cause you to drop it. Engage first gear, pull in the clutch and decompressor and kick it over a couple of times before you go to start it. Or push it a short distance in gear with the clutch pulled in and the engine off.
By Presto
If you're using fully synthetic - or semi-synthetic - in the primary then it may be best to change to ATF - automatic transmission fluid. Heresy to use anything else!

Our hosts – who have unrivaled experience of these motors – stress time and again that the better option is to use of ATF in the primary for the very reasons, among others, that this whole thread has been about.
Avoid engine oil, especially synthetic oils.
If it's a Unit construction engine, probably the easiest way to free off clutch plates is to stick it in gear and rock it slightly back and forth with the clutch in before starting. Always safest to hold on the front brake when engaging first anyway, then it can't go anywhere. That goes for pretty much any motorcycle, not just an enfield.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles