This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
This might be blindingly obvious, but bear with me.

The previous owner had fitted electronic ignition (350, kickstart, Bullet., 2002/3 model)

Now, red box in left hand toolbox, ignition module, I think this one:

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/3203

Lifted the seat yesterday for the first time. Haven’t had the bike long, to check things out, clean earthing points etc and I see a Boyer Branden Power Box; no regulator/rectifier.
So, a bit of reading and obviously this is a regulator/rectifier.
My question, what reason?

Does the power box work better with the electronic ignition?
Did he fit it because the old one had died?
Is it more efficient the the other options?
Should I just get a life!?

Bike runs well, just need to dig into carb as a little lean.

John
By stinkwheel
It's common to fit a boyer power box if the standard reg/rec fails. They are relatively inexpensive and less prone to failure but to all intents and purposes, it's a replacement reg/rec. Standard ones do fail. Mine did so I replaced it with one off a Kawasaki ZX6R (purely because I had it lying about).

It's also technically possible to use one without a battery, the bike should still fire up with a flat battery. (I'm not sure if you need to wire it a specific way to do this or if it works like that anyway).
By windmill john
stinkwheel wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:18 pm
It's also technically possible to use one without a battery
I read that when reading about the power box.

Thanks stinkwheel, you’ve confirmed what I was thinking , but just needed the clarity.

John
By windmill john
I’m not thinking of going ‘batteryless’, but as my headlamp only works when running, ie AC and I am kickstart only, I’m trying to think of why I have a battery.... on a bullet that is, or generally.

I guess coil ignition with battery provides a more reliable spark? Plenty of CDI bikes out there though...
Nice to see your ammeter deflect :roll:
By Adrian
"Back in the day" batteries were essential if you needed the lights on with the engine off. With the AC headlight models you still get the rest of the electrics functional without the engine running. Also with some direct lighting systems, alternator output at lower revs can be a bit "disappointing".

RE India actually had some CDI ignition home market 350s in the naughties, any examples you might find over here (and there are a few) are unofficial imports.

A.
By stinkwheel
The battery on the AC/DC bikes does run the tail and sidelights if you're conked out at the side of the road so at leat you can be seen even if you can't see.
By Wheaters
On my "home market" 350 with CDI ignition, only the headlight itself is run direct from the engine. Everything else in the lighting department, plus the horn, needs the battery.
By Adrian
I'm slightly confused, as you posted the following elsewhere, which describes the TCI model, not the CDI!
My 350 doesn't have an "O" ring and a centre bolt though, it has an old fashioned gasket and screws round the edge of the casing so I "stick" to my previous advice.
A.
By Wheaters
Adrian,

Sorry, I might be the one who is slightly confused. You might well be correct about my 350 Bullet Electra having TCI rather than CDI. :?

You are certainly correct about its "not got an O ring" primary chaincase. As I wrote previously; it's held on with perimeter screws and a "normal" flat gasket, same as the UK Bullet Electra 500.

However, the bike is kickstart only so the inner case doesn't have the forward extension for a starter motor. I went to Hitchcock's with a list of parts I needed and asked to order an Electra gasket, which I had previously identified from the Bullet catalogue. The member of staff I dealt with was confused by the bike and insisted that as a 350 it must have an O ring chaincase - until I produced a photo of the left side of the bike, then he fetched me one - it's now on the bike, a perfect fit.

I had a closer look at the alternator the other day when I serviced the clutch. The cable from the primary chaincase has 6 wires. It's a 4 wire alternator and the other two wires are attached to the crank position sensor, looking at a "tab" on the external rotor. I didn't trace the wiring back to the under-seat electrics because I had no reason to - the seat's not been off for some time now.

The Watsonian Squire workshop manual that came with the bike when I got it (but I didn't buy the bike new) has a range of wiring diagrams but it doesn't actually show the TCI. The only wiring diagram with the alternator wiring like my bike is titled: "12V, AC, DC (with CDI)". Unless I ever have to buy relevant replacement parts (fingers crossed behind my back, no jinx :shock: ) I'm not too concerned which it actually has.

However, the one thing I'm not at all confused about is that only the headlight on the bike is powered direct from the alternator, definitely nothing else is. ;)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles