This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By PO51UHD
Hello All
I’m stripping a 1990 500 Bullet motor and can’t lift the head off the barrel. Don’t think it’s squashed washers as I can see a beige coloured ‘seal’ between the head and barrel which looks like epoxy. Spoke with AllanH who suspects this is from new, apparently the factory used an epoxy based ‘seal’ of this type which is difficult to shift.
Has anyone encountered this, and any solutions proven please?
Thanks
Stephen
By stinkwheel
I'd still suspect the washers. Even with hardened washers and square-ended, unscrewable studs, I still had to use severe brute force and ignorance to get the studs out of my 350 last time I dismantled it.

Undo the bottom nut and try to lift the whole lot up off the base gasket. If the head is stuck on the barrel, you'll be able to lift the head and barrel up in one piece with some relatively gentle tapping, it's only a paper gasket. Ultimately then, if it really won't shift, you could drop the engine down, lift them off as a unit and seperate them on the bench.

If it's the washers, the whole lot will be stuck solid.
By papasmurf
Not for the faint hearted, start the engine with the nuts loosened but not slack..
By Andy C
You could always try the "Indian rope trick".

Get a length of gool old fashioned rope, put piston at BDC and stuff the rope down the plughole but dont pack it in too tightly.

Then kick the engine over - or try to, the rope will compress a little but should push the head up the studs.

Much better than breaking fins. Worth a try.
By Andy C
PS forgot to say - remove the pushrods first !!!!
By stinkwheel
I broke the bottom "ring" off a cast iron barrel using the Indian rope trick.

And that was the last time I used wellseal. I use the composite head gaskets now with nothing else on.

Just saying.
By vince
Hi, I always remove head nuts and with compression kick the engine over vigorously,(even try to start it) this is usually enough to lift the head from the barrel. I then remove the engine if necessary, save trying to separate it on the bench. If you have already taken the engine out try removing the head and barrel as one unit then gently drop onto wooden bench from a inch or two. Works for me! Vince
By PO51UHD
I’m pleased to report success...!

I was due to go away for a week’s holiday when I asked for advice on this, but before I went I squirted PlusGas all round the head/barrel joint in the forlorn hope that it might help...
...imagine my surprise when, on returning to The Shed, with a few brisk taps with a mallet and wooden block under the inlet and exhaust ports the head lifted easily!

I don’t know if PlusGas softens epoxy... but something certainly happened!

Now on with the rebuild...

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles