This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
I have put a few miles on my Bullet now (like more than 100) and I think it is running rich. I bought it and asked for a Hitchcocks supplied short exhaust to be fitted as I dislike the look of the standard one (it sounds fie, just don’t like the look). I now sound like a 1960s diesel generator but look a bit cooler I feel- and everyone can hear me racing towards them at 45mph (note to self, buy ear plugs in morning).

Anyway, it smells like it is running rich and coming off the accelerator/throttle I usually get one backfire (sometimes two)- this is normally straight off the throttle so going down a long hill throttle closed there is no recurrent backfire (don’t know if that is relevant but suggests to my ignortent brain that the EFI is correcting?).

I will have the spark plug off tomorrow once I find the socket but thought I would ask now- I flatter myself that I have enough experience to be probably correct. I understand there is some kind of blanking bolt that can be fitted to the bike exhaust. Does anyone have the product code and is it as simple as that, as much as I don’t enjoy rejetting carbs I do know how to do that but EFI is a mystery to me. I know I can fit different EFI but I have an army green C5 Bullet, not going to be doing a lot of racing on that so balk at spending hundreds £.

Any advice from the wise?
EDITED TO ADD. As far as I can tell my Bullet is running otherwise fine, starts to vibrate above 45mph, becoming a bit of an issue at 55mph (mirrors of no real utility, tingles and so on). Acceleration, pick up is fine, relatively pokey really. So it is just that backfire off the throttle- and if it doesn’t really matter I would live with it as it isn’t massively loud (relative to the general cacophony).

And I'm sure I can excede 55mph it's just I chose not to, the bike doesn't seem limited to that in any way, I just don't feel the need to push it beyond that speed.
Hi Jason: Not sure about the EFI model, but from your description, the new muffler has a different back pressure to the original one. The easiest cure is to refit the original muffler to see is it goes back to normal. Don`t worry about how it looks, nobody else will.
Then you will know that you have wasted time and money fixing something which wasn`t broken.
A free-er flowing exhaust will normally result in a weak mixture, unless corrected, simply because the engine will flow more gas and therefore need more fuel to match. I don't know if the RE ECU can compensate; it might then again it might not.

Also, a slight exhaust leak can result in it "popping". Because you have fitted a different silencer, either or both is/are possible.
Yes, I was expecting to have to worry about a more dangerous lean mix, but no indication of that. Which then got me thinking that I don’t really know jack about EFI, we have it on cars but most of my bikes have been carb.

I didn’t get the spark plug off yesterday as it started raining and I don’t have a garage, and today I had to go for treatment for cancer (sounds rather casual I know). I will do it tomorrow just to confirm my suspicions.

I think you may have something with a ‘leaky’ exhaust. I bargained for the dealer to fit that exhaust for me and maybe they didn’t do such a great job fitting it, I just ordered the exhaust and had it sent to them as they had to do a bit on the bike to get it ready anyway. I noticed the heat shield (optional separate part) wasn’t fitted properly- they fitted it but not where it hides the ‘join’ which is the whole point of the thing.

Like I say I really don’t fancy paying £350 plus VAT for the EFI, if I had the ‘sporty’ Bullet, the 538cc(?) I would entertain it, even though I realise I would be chasing rainbows, but not for the utilitarian ‘army’ version.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any experience of the issue-we will see.
Leon Novello wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 am
Hi Jason: Not sure about the EFI model, but from your description, the new muffler has a different back pressure to the original one. The easiest cure is to refit the original muffler to see is it goes back to normal. Don`t worry about how it looks, nobody else will.
Then you will know that you have wasted time and money fixing something which wasn`t broken.
The thing is I don’t want the original exhaust, I hate the look of oversized exhausts on modern bikes and on this Enfield C5 which is really playing on 1950s military imagery it stands out like a sore thumb.

My dislike of most motorcycle exhausts is palpable honestly. My last bike, the Hyosung GV 650, I actually chose it because it was carb and not EFI and that meant getting rid of its horrendous exhaust was going to be easier- indeed it ended up with a can from Hitchcock’s I think (that said I have shifted a few bikes recently so it might have been the Suzuki). Given the amount of global warming in the world and given the amount of global warming being caused by motorcycles in the EU (minimal) it’s all a con. And I ascribe to the loud pipes save lives ethos within reason.

The reason bikes are costing £18K, well one, the other is the never never finance model where you are just renting a bike, is all this nonsense being added to them. USB port I can get, the rest just seems there to keep dealers busy in maintenance work.

I'd probably stick a carb on it before putting the old exhaust on it, just keep the EFI module for when I cam to sell (or likely my family sell).
I found this on You Tube, this guy is using a replacement EFI as far as I understand but he says the backfire isn’t harmful just annoying. The video is the same backfire as I get for reference. My other ‘hobby’ is building computers and playing with tech so I found the video interesting. I think I will keep an eye on things but worry a bit less. £350 is a lot of money, in fact money I want to spend on upgrading my PC, so if it doesn’t harm the bike, I will live with it. His bike sounds much the same as mine so it could just be me not ‘getting’ the Enfield and seeing problems that aren’t there. I don’t have any real experience with Enfields and very little with British bikes in general (I had a Panther for a while decades ago but that was permanently falling apart).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zzxfM2uktw

What I do like is there’s quite a bit you can do with these Enfields but at the same time you don’t really have to either. I’ve got a nice little list of ‘improvements’ that I can do over winter which don’t involve the bike being off the road which is nice.

Anyway enough yap, I need to look at that spark plug.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles