This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By ShaunE
Hello all,

My bike is spitting back badly through the carb. The carb is the correct Amal 376 (which looks fairly new) and is jetted correctly. She’s awkward to start from cold now and I’m having a bit of trouble getting a steady idle.

I know she’s weak and is drawing air in through through the inlet manifold/head joint as she’s failing the carb cleaner sprayed on the joint test whilst running.

I’ve fitted new gaskets from our hosts all round but still no good.

All mating surfaces are clean and true with the exception of the head flanges. When a small straight edge is placed across them they are “high” in the centre area and the straight edge rocks. The manifold edge is perfectly flat.

I’m loathe to tighten down too hard or pile on loads of goo.

Your thoughts as always would be appreciated,

Cheers.........Shaun.
By ShaunE
Hi Vince, thanks for your reply,

Am I right in thinking I can get away with removing the manifold, loosening tappets, steady, pipes etc then the head and go from there?

Or is there more to it than that?

You know, I’ve had classics for many years now but this is my first RE. She is growing on me. Even with the vibes and ponderous gearbox! She is a tired old girl but she will have a complete strip down and rebuild over the coming winter. She deserves it!

Cheers...........Shaun.
By vince
Hi, a bit of a task but it might work. assuming it's the original manifold try flipping it over and see if it fits any better first . I would use a silicone sealant which has more give.
By ShaunE
Hi all,

Thanks Vince for your reply.

I've slackened everything off as I detailed in my last post and the manifold stubs on the head just will not come in line. I guess i'll have to live with it for now until winter time when she's going to have a rebuild. Some decent high temp silicone for now!

At the moment i'm running without an air filter (our host don't have any in stock) which I know will make her weak. Mr H won't be getting any in for the foreseeable either. Does anyone know of the best place to try to hunt one down? If not would a small foam type aftermarket jobby work ok?

I've noticed a small hole in the underside or the intake manifold, see photo. I think it's an original drilling? Surely I'd be sucking in air here not helping the idle?

Your thoughts as always would be appreciated.

Cheers.................Shaun. Image
IMG_0026.JPG

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles