This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Thanks both again, thanks Stinkwheel for the picture.

Just looked through the owner’s manual and the workshop manual and still can’t work out which wiring diagram to use! No mention of neutral switch anywhere.

I went for the Bullet as I wanted a simple bike with limited electrical bolt ons... looks like I’ve stumbled on a foible of Bullet ownership, more wiring diagrams than you can shake a stick at.
By Wheaters
I've had a similar problem; I've not yet found a wiring diagram for my bike. I suspect the nearest thing to it is a 500cc Bullet Electra without the starter motor. It has AC lighting and electronic ignition situated on the left hand side of the crank. No distributor is fitted and there are no timing gears either, the only things in the "timing case" are the two cam gears.
By Adrian
If your bike hasn't been modified in the electrics department your switchgear on the left side of the handlebar should look like this:

(thanks to our hosts for the photo)

AC lighting was standard for the export 350 Bullet after 1999. The wiring diagram you want should show 4 wires coming from the alternator stator, two purple for the reg/rectifier and the DC charging system for the battery, and an amber(orange) and a yellow wire for the AC headlight, which runs directly off the alternator via an AC regulator. The handlebar switch has DC and AC wires going into it, though both sides are isolated from each other. Instead of having earth wires, the headlight bulb and the main beam warning light have AC return wires.

Wheaters, it sounds like your 350 Electra has the Indian home market CDI ignition with a six wire alternator, also used on some early 350 Indian Thunderbird and Machismo (lean burn/AVL) models. The Pete Snidal manual has a diagram for these. The 500 Electra-X had a 3 phase alternator running an all DC system via a (usually) 5 wire reg/rectifier, and TCI ignition, different again!

A.
By windmill john
Thanks Adrian, I’ll do a bit of poking round the bike to check; might not be able to dig deep until next Saturday.

There are three wiring diagrams in the workshop manual:

Your description meets the one entitled - June 1999 on

The other two wiring diagrams show violet, green, white coming from the alternator are called:

UK version
and
Regular version

Once I’ve had a stare at the bike, I’ll know. (So what if you have a UK version after 1999!) ;) ignore that, a bit of flippancy.
By windmill john
Just a courtesy post to cover some points raised.

Left hand handlebar switch cluster, looks like the decompression lever has been removed from bottom of the switch.
Decompression port blanked off on cylinder head.
I have two white wires (well they look white, outside work staring at it), a yellow and an orange coming from alternator, but they connect through four bullet connectors to two violets, a yellow and an orange, so possibly an aftermarket alternator.

So, I'm guessing I have the AC/DC kick start wiring diagram.

Thanks to all.

Picture purely for interest.

John

Gupta.jpg

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles