This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Lee June woo
HI From South Korea.

I need opinions about difference between Mikuni & AMAL carb.

First. I have Mikuni VM32 and AMAL Concentric MK1 930

Second. I love slow, erratic sound and high torque engine.

please tell me about Characteristic of those carb.

which one is better to me?

my enfield use 535 cylinder and 8.5:1 piston.

oh actually, I have one more. the Indian made mikcarb

but, let`s don`t talk about that... that one always makes me upset...

Thanks for read!
By stinkwheel
Mikuni or mikcarb will almost certainly pick up from idle better and have some adjustment in that respect. Another option is to fit proper mikuni brass parts to a mikcarb, kits are available.

I have a 612 conversion and despite the huge piston and long-stroke, that bike definately runs best at higher revs. If I drop the revs and let it "chug" I also get pinking (detonation) which will eventually damage the piston and I suspect it will start to damage the main bearing races which will often show "peening" damage under normal use. A quick look at the torque-curves reveals why. Blue is normal. Green is 612 kit. Peak torque is achieved at about 4,500 to 5,000rpm. Tuning makes almost no difference to low rev speed performance.

I think the more you tune it, the more you will find you need to rev it to use the power. After all Power = torque x revs
By Presto
Lee asks about these different carbs. In terms of engine performance the carbs will have no difference at all provided that the fitted carb is the correct size and is correctly set up for the engine it’s used with. If the carb is correctly set it will deliver the correct fuel ratio at each throttle opening. The make, look or style of the carb won’t make any difference.

Some carbs may be easier to set up than others and may have some features that are better than others but in terms of use whatever carb is chosen will perform equally well if tuned correctly. There is any amount of Bullets running fine with the Indian Mikcarb, the same is true of the Amal Concentric.
By John R
I would endorse what Presto says about Mikuni, Mikarb and Amal concentric all performing equally well if properly set up. After all, they all wrk in very much the same way.
At the moment my 350 Bullet is running a "deluxe" Amal Mk 1 concentric and this is my favourite; the main reason is the tickler gives easy starting and then needs no further attention as one rides off. There is a choke lever, but it seems to do very little on 350 Bullets! The deluxe model is less prone to tarnishing, the slide should wear less quickly (I have a bell mouth on mine) and the float is said to be better sealed.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles