This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Hi from South Korea.

my enfield is 2006 5speed cast iron.

I got push rod noise problem.

noise came from exhaust side.

when I adjust push rod properly (push rod rolling) and then tik tik noise is start when engine heat.

I found topic from here and topic said :
exhaust side is expanded by heat, and then push rod become short. try adjust push rod oversize.

So, I adjust push rod over size slightly, and then tik tik noise is reduce.
(inlet side has no problem not at all)

but as you know I adjust push rod over size, engine lost pressure.(maybe valve is opened slightly)

engine can start but I can feel that torque loss. and I can trample kick starter easily with out decomp.

of course engine heated and expanded enough than push rod length become normal but I`m still worry about

losing engine pressure and push rod bending problem.

is there a any solution for retarding cylinder expansion?

I using Hitchcocks`s brand new cylinder head tuned and 535 barrel kit for now.

Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor English!
I think the "tic tic" sound with the engine hot is something you have to live with on an Enfield. It's a characteristic, rather than a fault. It worried me to begin with, but now I've got used to it.

However, it might be worth checking that the rocker arm isn't too loose in the metal locating block it runs in. If it is too loose, it's not expensive to replace the whole assembly.

At the other end of the pushrod, it might also be a loose cam on its shaft.

But I think it's probably normal!
Inclined to agree with Wheaters - if you check out things as he has suggested and find nothing wrong then you will just have to accept the "tic" - these are not quiet engines so there will always be some mechanicl noise.
These bikes can rattle even on low mileage, never mind when the timing gears have a bit of wear in them adding to the clatter.

Not enough tappet clearance will mean the valves are not seating properly, which can lead to reduced compression and burnt valves.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles