This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By 555
Hi All. I have just had my engine sorted out, the problem was too weak a mixture causing nipping up. Re jetted across the range and all so far is great, cam retarded. And she flies. So currently running the H/C piston, 30mm Amal, and free flowing exhaust / Filter- from our hosts. Its a 2004 500cc 65 , 5 speed. She has more to go at 70mph indicated. And running a 19" rear wheel. Currently on an 18T sprocket. I'm a heavy chap. Looking for a more relaxed cruising speed - 65mph. Tyres are now road going from the knobblies I had before. Planning on a road trip, with Motorway miles in the mix - hence making it easier on the engine. What do you guys think.
By Adrian
Not a good idea with the standard 500 engine, though your modifications might just be giving your Sixty-5 enough oomph to cope with a 19T sprocket. What proportion of your trip is motorway, and how hilly is the route?

Reduced stress on the engine at higher speeds might give the con-rod an easier time of it, though you will have to be using the gearbox a bit more to avoid lugging the engine in higher gears.

A.
By vince
Hi, a 19t sprocket will give a top gear ratio of 4.4 which is too high for a 500 single. Bear in mind this will raise all the gears and put more load on the clutch when pulling away. Imagine how the clutch will react if you always pulled away in third gear! Vince
By 555
Ok, so mixed opinions , but both make sense . Lower revs at speed, but may need to slip the clutch at start off. Think will leave as is. Tinkering ends in trouble I have found!
By Adrian
I think the standard gearbox sprocket on the sixty-5 is 17T, so yours has already been geared up a bit, 555. Perhaps a fairing would help?

Like you I am a heavy chap (in the over-consumption of pies sense), tall as well, so plenty of sail area for wind resistance. My Electra-X could struggle in top on its standard 18T gearbox sprocket (4.8:1?) despite my tuning mods, so putting it down to the standard Indian Bullet 500's 17T made it a much happier bike, with no appreciable loss of top speed. All my 500cc anglo-indian bitsas since then have been happy on 17T.

A.
By 555
I agree about the large sale area! I have a screen, so will fit that. Just want to be able to get past the lorries . So 65mph should be enough. Also knowing my RPM would be of use. What’s the max RPM on these 500 65’s? I have one of those wind around the plug lead RPM gauges on my Triumph Herald.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles