This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By David Crossley
Hi guys new to the forum and the world of the Royal Enfield. I have just purchased a 2008 electra x I have put a new plug and battery in it. It is turning over with starter and I also have a spark with the kick starter but still nothing I have noticed that the electra has starting problems is this a common issue. Thanks David
By ericpode
Welcome David, not sure what you mean by "I have noticed that the Electra has starting problems" are you refering to yours or Electras in general? The electric starter can be unreliable, perhaps that is what you have heard.
I too have a 2008 Electra X and can assure you it is one of the easiest bikes to start. I only use the kickstart on mine and it occasionaly needs two swings but mostly one is enough.
As you have a spark we must assume it is coming at the right moment as the ignition timing is immoveable so I suggest you look into the fuel suppy and carb. Is there plenty of compression?........ Rod
By Adrian
OK, so what carburetor is on there? The original CV carb, an Amal Concentric or a Dell'Orto PHF? Something else? They don't all have the same cold start set-up. Is petrol getting through to whatever carb is fitted?

A.
By David Crossley
:D
ericpode wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:39 pm
Welcome David, not sure what you mean by "I have noticed that the Electra has starting problems" are you refering to yours or Electras in general? The electric starter can be unreliable, perhaps that is what you have heard.
I too have a 2008 Electra X and can assure you it is one of the easiest bikes to start. I only use the kickstart on mine and it occasionaly needs two swings but mostly one is enough.
As you have a spark we must assume it is coming at the right moment as the ignition timing is immoveable so I suggest you look into the fuel suppy and carb. Is there plenty of compression?........ Rod
Thanks Rod sorry yes I had read on line about the electra having starting issues. I have cleaned the fuel filter tap and carb fuel is getting to the carb OK. :?:
By ericpode
Tell us a little more David.
Has it run at all since you bought it? Does it fire at all? Does the plug get wet and smell of petrol? Is there reasonable compression?
If you have fuel, spark and compression it cannot fail to run. If all these are present I would start to question the timing. It is just possible that the rotor has come loose and sheared the woodruff key. Even so there would probably be an occasional bang and misfire.
By Adrian
Assuming the ignition timing IS still OK, pulling the cold start (choke) plunger out on the carb ought to let a temporary rich mixture through for starting. As the carb is 12 years old now (the 2008 models were actually imported into the UK in 2007) it might have picked up some dirt in the starter jet or the tiny little fuel or air passages drilled into the carb for the starter circuit.

Another thing to check is that the carb mounting rubber bolted to the cylinder head isn't letting air leak in, either through the clip having slackened off or possibly developing a few cracks with age. Also the little brass tube on the carb mounting rubber needs to be sealed-off properly if the PAV (pulse air valve, an emissions bodge) has been removed.

A.
By David Crossley
Hi Eric, I was told that the bike had just stopped running and was garaged then after. I have just noticed the bellow seal has a split In it and the thin pipe the connects the the brass manifold inlet has a split to, so sorting them out this afternoon. Will also check plug for fuel etc. Sorry for the lack of info I ride an Xv1900 roadliner daily and a garage sorts it usually. This electra can up and I thought it would be a nice hobbies bike. Lol.... All your advice and support is very much appreciated.
By ericpode
Well if it sparks at the right moment it should fire, even if only once. Certainly make sure there is no air leak between the carb and the head. Mine is fitted with an Amal carb and I have no experience of your CV carb so I must leave that advice to others.
Have you got decent compression?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles